Question about GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

XL1800 Microwave Problem

When the unit is turned on, everything works great, but the unit makes loud ticking sounds?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.


    An expert who has answered 20 questions.

  • Contributor
  • 43 Answers
Re: XL1800 Microwave Problem

A LOUD ticking sound could very well be a High Voltage Arc. This is usually caused by a breakdown of insulation on High Voltage Wires, or components. It can also be arcing between the door frame and the cavity. Usually where the bottom of the cavity floor meets the door frame. Indication of this will be small areas on the door where it looks like the paint has been chipped off, but if you look close you will see it is small burned marks. Another area is the Splatter Shield located inside and at the top. It looks like a Plastic Cover. It is not plastic, but a fiber material. Grease, and food will get trapped on and under this Splatter Shield. Over a period of time the grease and food particles will break down from being cooked over and over again. They will then form Carbon. Which will Arc when Microwaves are present. Remove Push-Pins holding Splatter Shield. Clean by washing with dish detergent . If burned (arc) spots are still present after washing, replace Splatter Shield or arcing will continue. Once Carbon has burned through, it will continue to burn.

Posted on Feb 02, 2008

Add Your Answer

0 characters

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add


3 Points

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Magic Chef MCO153UBF microwave

There are two things that come to mind, the magnetron is starting to fail, or the strapping has come loose on the fan motor housing, unplug microwave oven and remove top, [several screws] carefully inspect the fan for any loose mounts and tighten.

Jun 09, 2012 | Magic Chef Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

The unit makes a loud noise that sounds like lighting hitting something. Could this be the fuse?

no this is the magnetron do not plug the unit in or turn the unit on or you will be seeing alot more then pretty lights this has become a fire hazard and it would be up to you on replaceing the magnetron in your unit preferably consider the cost of the unit compared to the cost of the magnetron they usually run over 100.00 just for the piece if you have any further questions message me back and please remember to rank how this opinion has helped it allows me to help others in similar situations Thanks Rick

Mar 25, 2011 | GE XL1800 1100 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Re: GE Profile Spacemaker XL1800 Loud humming sound when turned on. Please advise

I have the same problem. A repair person said that he thought it was the megatron (whatever that is) He suggested just using the microwave until it quits.

Dec 16, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

2 Answers

GE Profile Spacemaker XL1800 The microwave runs, the lights come on, timers goes, but it does not heat/cook and it makes a loud buzzing sound.What is wrong with it,and can I repair or trouble shoot it?


Thanks for using FixYa. If it’s a loud hum/buzz sound then 90% it’s usually a bad magnetron and other times it’s a bad high voltage diode. However, from what you have described it seems to be the magnetron. Please do rate the solution if the issue is resolved or post a comment for further assistance.


Jun 29, 2010 | GE XL1800 1100 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

It just stopped heating yesterday but the light

you say it has aloud hum to it? And everything works but no heat.Im going to give you a list of things it could be and you'll have to take microwave apart to do the work. Beforre you start get some small trays or pill bottles to put screws in. Make sure when you take a screw out you know where it goes back because all the screws may not be same length. First, You may have a blown fuse in the HV transformer primary circuit, The HV transformer is the largest thing you'll see when you take the cabinet of the frame.Second,bad connections for the magnetron filament the magnetron will have what looks like fins or louvers around it.look for bad wire connections. Third, could be a faulty thermal protector or fuse, More than likely its either going to be the HV transformer or the magnetron thats bad.

Sep 13, 2009 | GE XL1800 1100 Watts Microwave Oven

2 Answers

GE Spacemaker XL1800 (jvm1850sh06) problem

Use a hair blow dryer to dry out the underside of the microwave. After you are convinced that it is dry you may operate it again.

That said, if it still is acting up read this:

When the microwave sounds okay, but there's no heat, one of the internal door switches, the high voltage circuitry, or the circuit board may have a problem. To resolve this problem, you need the assistance of a qualified appliance repair technician.

Aug 06, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Dacor DMT2420s when started makes a loud buzzing sound

The fan could have an obstuction. I have heard of tech sheets getting into the fan and causing a vibration and vibrating sound.

May 12, 2009 | Dacor DMT2420SS Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Turntable sounds like its grinding

Sounds like the bottom bearing has siezed. This is then rotating on it's mountings instead of nice ball bearings.

Just check it's not simply any support wheels you can easily get to.
It is possible to access this from inside. If you wish to repair it, unplug, and remove case screws. The drive assembly is easily visable from underneath. If you can get the main bearing off, clean it in parafin or WD40 and use a little light oil on it.

Make sure you replace the case properly - with all screws before attempting to start again.
The microwave generator is only active when electricity is applied, and usually the door assembly is integral to the microwave chamber.

Jun 11, 2008 | GE XL1800 1100 Watts Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Turntable does not turn and fan won't exhaust

The second problem is probably defective door switches, or it may be a problem with the control panel, which we repair nationwide for only $32.50. On my Web site, I have info on safety, disassembly, and diagnosing and replacing door switches: Running it empty has damaged the magnetron. It will work for a while, but it will eventually have to be replaced. A good parts source is here:

Jan 05, 2007 | GE XL1800 1100 Watts Microwave Oven

3 Answers

GE Spacemaker XL1800 Microwave

Your turntable motor is shot. It's simple to remove and replace. you don't even have to take the microwave out of the shelf. To remove it take out seven screw around the perimeter of the bottom. Lift up on back of bottom to get over clips on the back. Remove the two screws holding the motor in and detach the plug. Find a electrical repair shop for you make pick it up and replace it. When replacing it take out plate and hold plate key down and align flat side of shaft on motor with the plate key.

Nov 30, 2006 | Samsung MW1030WA Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven Logo

271 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8795 Answers


Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1059 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides