Sometimes the microwave will heat up and sometimes it doesn't. when the microwave completely stopped heating up it would make a loud hymming sound when turned on.There was no sparks or hesitation in the turntable before the breakdown everything seemed normal but the food remained cold .
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: micro wave not heating
It sounds like a failing magnetron. Sometimes they can be intermittent before they finally fail for good.
Chances are your oven has a 5-10 year warranty on the magnetron.
Please note that FixYa is not currently notifying us Experts when Clarification Requests are answered.
To allow us to help you effectively (at no charge), please post a NEW problem to FixYa, and please
include your brand name and the full model number from the tag in or on
the unit, and your detailed symptoms.
A loud buzz, hum, or groan is usually a shorted high voltage rectifier diode,
but a sound like gurgling into an empty
coffee mug is one symptom of a failed magnetron, and yet the mag can be bad
without that sound.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
usually when you kill the power and then when you put power back on the machine works it's the computer board that's bad.all you're doing is resetting the board just like your house computer,if something happens to it you shut it down and reboot it,that's what you're doing with the micro wave just rebooting the board.here's the funny thing about micro waves sometimes the part you're gonna change is almost the same price as a new micro wave so i would first check how much the board is,i went on sears and they have the board for 115.00 repair clinic for 235 part number WPW10216347 they don't make this model anymore but you can get a stainless micro for around 290 to 300 dollars and if you buy the same brand all you should have to do is remove the bolts up above that hold it in place and remove the micro wave and the same brand should mount the same way so you won't have to drill new holes or replace the back metal panel.if i were you i would replace the unit instead of the board repair clinic shows most of the parts for this model out of stock so it might be a while before you can get any parts for this model but this is up to you.good luck with your micro wave.one more thing when you were in there did you see alot of grease,this is usually the cause of no heat,the grease from cooking on the stove top gets into the micro wave and on the mag tube and damages it,if there was grease in there i would just replace the unit
Micro wave as the name suggests produces heat when the micro waves aimed at an object causes the water molecules inside the object to vibrate hence producing heat.The gadget responsible is the magnetron. If your magnetron is not receiving ht voltage or receiving but faulty, then your micro wave wont work please take precaution when opening micro wave due to high voltage caps that remain charged sometimes even when it is off.check the high voltage fuse/ diode and capacitor if they are fine and the step up trans former o.k then the only option is to replace the magnetron
Q - The microwave display counts down and the inside light is on, but nothing is heating and the fan is not running. A - This most commonly is abad door switch, other possible problems are a faulty relay or solder joint on the power module, but a bad door switch is most common. Q - My microwave is running and sounds like it is working but will not heat up anything. A - Many thing can do this but, common things are....loose high voltage wire.....poor solder joint on board.....magnetron.....power relay..... Q - The microwave makes a loud "hum or buzz" noise but will not heat up the food? A - 9 times out of 10 this is usually this is a bad magnetron, the other time is sometimes a bad high voltage diode. See components section.
In the case of microwave ovens, the commonly used radio wave frequency is roughly 2,500 megahertz (2.5 gigahertz). Radio waves in this frequency range have an interesting property: they are absorbed by water, fats and sugars. When they are absorbed they are converted directly into atomic motion -- heat
So, NO Micro waves NO heat......... Need to check for Microwave emitter device installed inside.
This just happened to ours as well. Apparently the magnetron (device that creates radio waves that heat the food) is broken. I'm trying to pry the darn thing out of our kitchen now so I can replace the magnetron. Look for this part WB27X10489 on Google. I found it on ebay for $65. If it fixes the problem I'll post again.