- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
I assume this is a kerosene type heater. These need three things to operate properly fuel ,air ,ignition. If the fuel and air seem ok that leaves the ignition. Most units use a spark type ignitor to light the fuel, if the gap that the spark jumps across is too wide the spark becomes weak and may not be igniting the fuel. With the cover off the fuel air mixture may be a little leaner and will ignite but the richer mixture when the cover is on will not. If the heater was working ok before chances are the gap has gotten burned wider over time and you will need to regap the ignitor. The other possibility is that installing the cover is somehow shorting out the ignitor so check the spark wire for any possible shorting. Hope this helps.
Could be one or several issues here.Here is how system works first the combustion motor started then pressure switch closes (that's the part with the small hose connect to ),make sure all exhause is clear. Now when that closes and all safety ok then gas valve open then furnace ignite.
If you have 24 volt to gas valve and could hear valve open (a clicking soind) and no ignition then you have a ignitor issue .if it's a glow type ignitor it should glow ,if not replaced .If it's a spark ignitor you should be to hear it sparking .Normally a spark ignitor will have a orange hose going to it .Trace orange hose back to board and disconnect from board then check for voltage from metal pin that hose was connected to ,you should have very high voltage and should hear it clicking ,If all safety is good ,pressure switch is good ,gas valve is open and no spark from ignition board then board is bad.If you can hear spark from board and getting high voltage then replaced ignitor or try cleaning it out with sand paper most time that healp
The ignitor(s) have apparently lost their ground. You may have disturbed a wire(s) when you removed the burners to clean them. Trace the wiring to each of the peizo ignitors (what the spark comes off of) and make sure they are tight (pushed up on the prong of the piezo) Also, where you saw the spark, remove the wire and reattach it. It is probably lose. The ignitor button/assembly is grounded to the grill frame. Make sure it's attached tightly.
Once you correct the parking wire, I think you will have solved the problem.
Several steps here to check...
turn power off unit and back on
set thermostat to heat
watch for pilot to ignite..igniter should glow orange or cherry red or spark if its a spark type ignitor
Did you see a pilot light ignite?
If not you probably have a bad igniter.
If pilot lit....in a little bit you hear a click of the gas valve opening..then the main burners will ignite
If you see the pilot and the main burner lights but goes out in a few minutes or immediately you may have an issue of the "high limit" switch tripping.
Is the blower fan turning that blows air out of your vents?
are all your vents open in your house? too many times i see homes with almost all vents shut.
Is this a millivolt or electric ignition heater? You can tell by the connections: gas only = millivolt, gas + electrical conduit = electric ignition.
Sometimes people ridicule us for asking the obvious, but I thought this would be helpful:
1) Are your operating the heater with the pump running?
2) Is the gas to the heater turned on; either at the propane valve (is there propane in the tanks?) or is the valve at the meter for natural gas in the on position. IF is the code for ignition failure on Hayward Heaters. This could be related to a bad igniter or plugged burner orifices. Failure often indicates that the sensor wire to the ignitor is bad, rather than the ignitor itself. Inspect this wire, and if the sheathing is cracked or worn, replace it.
If the gas pressure and supply is OK, the proper order for parts replacement would be:Sensor wire, then the ignitor, then the gas valve. To inspect the igniter for operation, remove the igniter and turn the heater on and watch for a spark (don't hold it, you'll get zapped!). If you don't see one, try adjusting the spark generator relative to the metal ground around it. Clean out the area where it mounts as best you can. We have serviced similar issues several times where spiders or debris actually kept the spark from reaching the gas. Check here for manual and diagrams on all Hayward products http://www.haywardnet.com/inground/products/manuals.com
I hope that this helps! Please take a moment to give us feedback on the information that has been provided. We all volunteer our time and expertise to help you all out and th biggest compliment is the referral of your friends to the website and feedback from you!
The Ugly Pool Guy
Sometimes it takes a few seconds for gas to reach the pilot. When you place the thermostat knob/gas control in the pilot position you must then depress it (push it down and hold it down). Wait a few seconds while holding it down, then press the ignitor button with your other hand while continuing to keep the thermostat knob depressed. You may have to hold the knob down and press the ignitor several times. You should see a spark at the pilot if the ignitor is working properly. Continue to hold the knob down for 30 seconds after the pilot lights, then release the knob, it will pop up & you can then rotate it to lo/med/hi and the heater will come on.,
Shut off the gas to the heater and pull the ignitor out. Turn everything on and push the button in the door opening to get the heater to turn on. Look at the ignitor and see if there is spark across the probes when you hear the clicking. If not, replace the ignitor.
If there is, put the ignitor back in the heater and then look at the valve. The two wires that bring the 115V to the valve need to be pulled and then checked with a meter. Start up the heater again and look for the 115VAC when the ignitor starts sparking. If you see it, replace the valve. If not, replace the control board.
some times the wire for the ignitor will get burned inside the chamber, if this happens you will not get a spark and will need a tech, but turn the gas valve to the piliot position hold down the button on the gas valve while clicking the electric ignitor button, look thru the site glass towards the left side of the burner assembly while doing this, if there is no spark it will have to be taken apart and replace the spark ignitor, not a big job you just have to make sure the seal on the burner cover doesn't tear or get damaged