Question about Sharp Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Don't know if magnetron has burned out

Had microwave on for 58 minutes when I thought I just had the timer on. Part of plastic vent melted. Is it safe to try the microwave? How do I know if the magnetron is gone?

Posted by on

Ad

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Sharp Master
  • 9,098 Answers

You can find links to part ordering help here.

I'd recommend that your bookmark this link to your favorites.

You should remove or replace the melted part and try the oven with a cup full of water in it.

If it arcs & sparks, the magnetron and/or waveguide may be damaged.

If it runs fine, you may get lucky and only have to replace the part that melted.

We may have the full service manual at our site which you can view and download free. But we would need to know that all-important model number.

Please note that FixYa is not currently notifying us Experts when Clarification Requests are answered.

To allow us to help you effectively (at no charge), please post a
NEW problem to FixYa, and please include your brand name and the full model number from the tag in or on the unit, and your detailed symptoms.

Posted on Dec 13, 2009

Ad

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

I have a Neff multifunction and the microwave part is playing up now, sometimes it stops half way through re heating and then I have to wait a minute or so before I am able to restart. Also there is a...


Is it a plastic burning smell? It sounds like the magnetron is overheating. Can you hear the cooling fan running? Is there anything blocking the vents on the unit?

Feb 03, 2015 | Neff Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

The plastic/metal cover inside the microwave started arcing and melting where can i get a replacement


The magnetron is shorted out, timer for a new microwave. It is a safety hazard at this point.

Feb 01, 2015 | Rival Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Wolf microwave timer counts down, lights on but not cooking or making noise when started


You need a magnetron. While the cabinet is open look for melted wires, check the circuit board for burned components. Check thermal cutoffs for continuity etc

Nov 26, 2013 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

GE Advantium oven SCA 2000 failed while microwaving. The sound has changed, less noisy, when it is started. Don't know if it is the blower, or if the cooking units--microwave or haligen are effected. ...


The fact that it stopped during cooking, then came back on after several minutes, tells me that the magnetron probably overheated and its thermostat (called the M.G.T. T.C.O. in the service manual here) opened until it cooled back down.

An overheating magnetron can be due to:
  • operating oven without cover(s) in place
  • wrong magnetron installed in oven
  • an old or otherwise failing magnetron
  • cracked magnetron magnet
  • improper power line voltage (should be 110-125VAC)
  • foods low in moisture (popcorn & bacon, e.g. - add 1/2 cup of water in rear oven)
  • failed or inoperable cooling fan or hood vent exhaust fan
  • deteriorating foam weatherstripping seals in air ducts or on outside cover
  • blocked air vents (dust, animal nest debris, insufficient free air space behind & around oven, etc.)
  • clogged or greasy charcoal filter or grease filter
  • blocked duct in hood vent exhaust
The fact that the oven is now quieter tells me that one of the high voltage components may have failed, or the high voltage section is not getting power.

It may be as simple as a failed top door switch (see this test file) or it may be a failed high voltage component, most likely the high voltage rectifier diode or the magnetron.

Here are some links you or someone you know can use (in order given) for test help, but read the safety warnings first:

http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/mag_test.html
(continuity can be good even though mag is bad!)


http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/diode.html
(if it is NOT shorted or burned looking, it's probably fine)


http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/xformer.html

You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number from the tag on the oven here.

Note that the magnetron has a five-year warranty. If it's under magnetron warranty, GE will send you the magnetron to do it yourself.

If the magnetron is bad, call them at 888-239-6832 with the full model number, serial number, and date of manufacture.


We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Jan 10, 2011 | GE Advantium 120 Convection/Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Not heating food, not cooking, vent is not operating... After the installation of the microwave today, the timer works well. When trying to heat up anything, it does not work (the timer goes on and at the...


The magnetron (the part that heats the food) may be bad or the circuitry to the magnetron may have burned out. Basically my advice is that if you have no electrical expertise, it isn't worth fixing. The magnetron if bad, costs almost as much as a new microwave. If you open it up (make sure it has been unplugged for a few hours and don't seen any obvious burnt parts, then most likely the magnetron is done and a new microwave is the way to go.

Let me know how this works out for you.

Benjamin

Jul 20, 2010 | Whirlpool WMH1162XVS Microwave Oven

2 Answers

No power at display!


You've probably destroyed your magnetron, and the magnetron thermostat.

This kind of abuse will not be covered under warranty.

It will likely run about $75 for a technician to visit the home, $75 to do the work, $75-90 for the magnetron, and about $15 for the thermostat.

You can locate a Maytag-authorized servicer at http://www.maytag.com

Apr 24, 2010 | Maytag MMV4205 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave may have overheated


There are two thermal protectors which may be blown. If so, it will measure open (infinity) instead of closed (zero ohms).

One is located on the magnetron and one is on top of the oven cavity.

(There is also one located on the floor / base of the microwave but that one's not at issue.)

The magnetron thermal protector *may* be accessible by removing the control panel, but to access the oven cavity thermal protector, you will have to remove the oven from the wall.

If so, the installation instructions here are very handy, and it's best to have two people since the microwave can be heavy and awkward.

At our Web site, we have a video available showing how to remove a typical over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.

You can order parts from Encompass here or you can call them toll-free at 866-779-5835.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Jun 23, 2009 | Goldstar MV-1515 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave


A microwave needs all those surfaces to be fully reflective. those scorch marks greatly affect the magnetron. it will soon burn out . reccommend a new microwave.

Feb 17, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Microwave left on without anything in it except plastic spash cover


It's probable that since it was running empty, the magnetron overheated and a thermal cutout or thermostat located on the magnetron opened. Magnetrons may be protected by a therostat, which will reset when it cools, or a thermal fuse, which is a one-time use device. It is also possible that in some cases, a thermostat will fail when opened. Please refer to the drawing. In my professional opinion, people should not work on a microwave unless they are fully informed and aware of the deadly hazards and necessary precautions. One can find such information in our safety and disassermbly text files at _.

Sep 17, 2006 | GE JVM1842 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

60 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Sharp Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9098 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

225 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17130 Answers

Are you a Sharp Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...