Question about Dryers
I'll assume you checked the push to start switch with an ohm meter, to determine if the contacts were in fact closing.
Here is the flow of power.
1. The appliance cord (if it in fact is good) supplies power to the the door switch. One of the common causes for not starting.
2. It leaves there, and enters the timer. The timer takes the power, and if in an on position will split the power into 2 lines.
Obviously the timer could be a problem.
3. One of the power lines goes to the centrifugal switch of the motor, but since the motor is not running, cannot start the motor.
4. The press to start switch solves this problem by bypassing the centrifugal switch and starting the motor directly.
Once the centrifugal switch is at speed, the motor has 2 sources of power. That's why you can release the push to start switch, and it continues to run.
A bad motor can create this problem.
5. Broken or frayed wire anywhere in this circuit.
A lot of trouble shooting to do. Simple things first. If gas, plug in another device into that outlet.
Electric, you'll need to remove the receptacle cover and check from center to one end then the other. Both sides should give you 120 volts. CAREFUL, YOUR DEALING WITH 230 VOLTS HERE.
With an ohm meter, check the door switch for continuity.
From there on it gets more difficult. Broken wires being the worse.
Sorry I can't give you a simple answer, but it's not a simple problem.
Posted on Dec 10, 2009
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 30, 2016 | 2003 Honda Odyssey
Dec 13, 2007 | Maytag Neptune MAH6500A Front Load Washer
Jul 19, 2013 | Dryers
Dec 30, 2009 | Hobart Food Mixers
Jan 05, 2009 | Siemens A60
Mar 21, 2006 | Black & Decker FP1300 Quick N Easy Food...
18 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!