Question about Whirlpool MH1140XM Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Won't heat up

I have a whirlpool model M 1150 the other night we put a popcorn in and was ok the next bag the turn table and light went on but it never heated up. tried diferent setting but no heat. Thanks Larry Taylor

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert who has written 50 answers of more than 400 characters.


    An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.

  • Expert
  • 95 Answers
Re: Won't heat up

Hi larry,

Would it be posible your not setting the heat, is your microwave a popcorn setting one touch bottom.
It is also posible that the magnetron is not working, could be several factors, bad cap, power supply if it has one and bad magnetron. Also thermistor default may also not letting the magnetron to firer up.
You or going to have to figure how it works. also bad door switch may cause this.
To see were you or going if you know were the magnetron is then you most know that is is supplyed by a transformor, step up, at the primery winding , with a voltmeter set on ac voltage see if the voltage is present when starting the microwave, if the voltage is there 115vac you will notice will pulse on and off depending on your power level setting and there is still no heat then it's your secondary of the transformer that is not working.
This could be bad cap, power board if there is one, bad magnetron. Do not test the secondary voltage unless you understand it's very high.
If there is no voltage present, don't go farther, check your swithes, thermistors.



Posted on Jan 20, 2008

Add Your Answer

0 characters

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add


3 Points

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Have a kitchenaid microwave KHMS2040WSS brand new. Is there a way to set the popcorn sensor for a smaller bag? Right now it is set for 3.5oz and burns all the popcorn.

I have never seen a microwave that doesn't burn popcorn if you use the "popcorn" button. Why the manufacturers keep putting them on I'll never understand. There's nothing you can do change the presets on an oven since they are built into the controller. Instead of relying on the oven, you should follw the directions on the bag. These tell you to use high power, stay by the oven and stop the cooking when the time between pops drops to 1 or 2 seconds. Stored heat will continue to pop kernels for a bit, and you won't cremate your popcorn. You'll also avoid the possibility of the bag catching fire and damaging the oven, which I have seen several times. Finally, don't expect 100% of the kernels to pop. There wil always be a few duds, and extending the cooking time just results in burned popcorn.

Jun 05, 2011 | KitchenAid KHMS2040W Microwave Oven

1 Answer

OVERHEATING - Magic Chef Microwave M# MCO160S

Generic questions and comments:

Does your microwave have a "popcorn" setting and are you using it? Is there a rotating table in your machine? Is your popcorn bag elevated on top of a bowl or similar? Are you using some other "sensor" setting? Can you use straight time setting and get it to go past the 1 min 45 second mark?

On my microwave, it takes just about that much time and the popcorn is done ... BUT only if I elevate the bag to about the middle of the oven.

Let me know if this works for you.


Sep 21, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

No heat

If you remove the outer cover of the microwave, you will see a magnatron. Usually on the RHSide of the micro. This magnatron will need replacing. On the magnatron,is an over temp.sensor. If this gets hot excessively, then all will stop untill it cools down. This indicates magnatron is faulty.(Assuming cooling fan runs when micro program is selected and switched on). Honestly, i would suggest caution if undergoing this repair as the voltages are extreemly high and there are proceedures to repair theese units. Testing equiptment a must.

Sep 14, 2009 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

A child burnt popcorn in our GE Spacemaker microwave. Now, everything works except for the heat. Panel works, light works, turn table heat. Help pls.

Sadly popcorn kills more microwave ovens than peiple imagine. You can get an estimate on a repair but I believe you will probably decide in the end to replace it. Same exact thing happened to me............expensive popcorn!!

Jul 14, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Whirlpool Gold Accuwave wont heat

Hi, there are three issues that will cause a no heat situation in a microwave. these issue are a failed Magnetron, busted cut-off fuse and, failed diode.

I recommend checking all these area that are located inside the microwave for faults.

The most common issue will be a failed Magnetron.

The diode and, fuse will be located on the noise filter assembly.

May 19, 2009 | Whirlpool MH7140XF Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Everything appears to be working, but it does not heat the food

Sounds like the magnetron has failed. This is the component that produces the microwaves that heats the food.

The cost of the magnetron is about 95% of the cost of a microwave oven. Most people don't, for this reason, replace the magnetron, they replace the whole oven which is probably what you will end up doing.

There is a possibility that the circuit that provides power to the magnetron is faulty and you need to take it apart, find the proper electrical leads and test them with a volt meter. To do this you have to remove it from its mounting and take it apart. It is a fairly lengthy process however.


May 17, 2009 | Kenmore 80412 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Turn table shattered while making pop corn. Cuisinart ModelCmw100

You can order a replacement dish here. The dish shattered because the heat from the bag of popcorn was too much for it. If you look at the owner's manual for almost every microwave, they tell you not to put popcorn directly on the glass dish, but to put it on another plate.

The oven should be safe to use. Just look for any burned spots on the paint in the bottom of the cooking cavity.

Apr 09, 2009 | Cuisinart CWM-100 Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Small 10 sec fire in microwave

it may be ok , but it should be checked for internal damage

Dec 10, 2008 | Whirlpool MH7140XF Microwave Oven

6 Answers

Magic chef microwave shuts down

We had the same problem with our brand new Magic Chef. Before going through the trouble of taking it back I called Home Depot. After talking to a Home Depot Rep I am told that the overheat sensor is under the glass plate directly beneath the popcorn bag. Popcorn gets very hot and the heat of the popcorn causes the sensor to shut the machine down. I would imagine this would be the same for a baked potato.
Very poor design.
I was told to put a microwave safe plate down and put the popcorn bag on it. This should help to reduce the heat and not trip the sensor.
A safety sensor is great, but not if it keeps tripping the machine and shutting down!

Sep 02, 2007 | Microwave Ovens

Not finding what you are looking for?
Whirlpool MH1140XM Microwave Oven Logo

Related Topics:

77 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Whirlpool Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8795 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers


Level 3 Expert

6993 Answers

Are you a Whirlpool Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides