You can prepare chloroform by reaction of chlorine with hydrogen in bright sunlight.Chloroform can be used as an anesthetic. It causes insensibility and there may be loss of reflexes... Method:
1. Pour bleach
container. Almost all the way up. Maybe use half a litre or so, but it can work
in smaller sizes, its just less effective.
2. Add ice to the bleach, to cool it down to a temperature significantly
cooler than room temperature. Leave it to cool for a bit.
3. Add one part Acetone
for every 50 parts Bleach. Pour acetone in, replenish the ice if
necessary. With time the reaction should cloud up and increase in heat.
4. Leave it for 20 minutes, just to make sure that the reaction is fully completed. Keep a close eye
on it though, it may overheat. Feel the glass occasionally to make sure. Also, allow time for the reaction
to settle. Time may vary with the size of reactions made.
5. After settling, there will either be a white powder at the bottom of
the glassware, or a clear bubble. Pour off the remaining solution and
try to leave the bubble
/dust in the glass.
6. Extract pure chloroform with a separation funnel or a similar instrument..
7. If you wish to store chloroform, use a brown glass bottle only to
prevent radiation making it turn to phylogeny quicker. Also, make sure
the bottle is filled all the way up, because chloroform
reacts with Oxygen
. You can only store the chloroform for a week or so however, because it will eventually decompose.