Question about Compaq Presario SR1050NX (DW257A) PC Desktop
I have a compaq presario sr1000 desktop PC. It had been randomly turning itself off for weeks but i just ignored the matter until one day when i turned it on i got the message:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
From what ive read on other sites, i have an OEM-installed operating system so there is no windows XP disk (and rather stupidly i did't make any backup disks although i have now learnt my lesson). Also, none of the F keys are working appart from F1 which loads the BIOS menu thingy.
What do i do?!?!??!?!?
1. Reboot the PC in recovery partition
2. Press ALT + D to open console
if the comp doesnt have a recovery partition, then go to recovery console in Return to os choices by tapping f8 on start up...
3. Type Diskpart and then ‘Enter’
4. Type list volume and then ‘Enter’
It will list all the HDD partitions and volumes, Capture the drive letter with the largest partition
5. Type ‘Exit’ and then ‘Enter’
6. Go to the drive lets say it is ‘H’, so type “H:” and then ‘Enter’
7. Then type - cd system~1 and then ‘Enter’
8. Then type – cd _resto~1 and then ‘Enter’
9. Then type – dir and then ‘Enter’
It will give a list of numbers beginning from ‘rp’, capture the second highest ‘rp’ number
10. Then type – cd rpxx and then ‘Enter’ (where ‘xx’ is the second largest number)
11. Then type – cd snapshot and then ‘Enter’
Then type following five commands one by one:
After each command it will ask you to confirm, so press ‘Y’.
12. Copy _registry_machine_system H:\windows\system32\config\system
13. Copy _registry_machine_security H:\windows\system32\config\security
14. Copy _registry_machine_sam H:\windows\system32\config\sam
15. Copy _registry_machine_software H:\windows\system32\config\software
16. Copy _registry_user_.default H:\windows\system32\config\default
Make sure tht u type all the steps from step 12 to 16.
One you do this, restart the comp and check...
If this doesnt work, u ll have to reload OS
Posted on Jan 30, 2008
Refer good technitian
Posted on Jan 17, 2008
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 28, 2015 | Computers & Internet
Jun 10, 2013 | Computers & Internet
Jul 23, 2012 | HP Compaq Presario SR5210NX Desktop PC...
Jan 26, 2010 | Compaq Presario SR1000T (568657) PC...
Jan 11, 2010 | HP Compaq Presario SR2020NX PC Desktop
Jun 14, 2009 | Compaq Presario SR1000T (568657) PC...
Jun 04, 2009 | Compaq Presario 5000 PC Desktop
May 13, 2009 | Compaq Presario sr1403wm AMD Sempron 3000+...
234 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: