Question about Audio Players & Recorders
My sony NWZ-B105F Player is saying "Boot Error Shutting Down". I've hit reset, and plugged it in while resetting it, and I've reset it while pressing on power button, and I've done this while the player is plugged into USB and while unplugged. What i have to do now?
My Sony NWZ-103F, same as the 105F, was doing the same thing “CREATING DATABASE” and then the message “BOOT ERROR, SHUTTING DOWN”. The PC did not recognize the player plugged into the USB port except in the device manager field. I tried all of the other solutions to no avail. This is what fixed it for me.
1. Open CONTROL PANEL
2. Select SYSTEM
4. Click on DEVICE MANAGER
5. Scroll to the bottom of the Manager window and you should see WALKMAN
6. Right click on WALKMAN and select UPDATE DRIVER
7. Choose NO on the first page of the HARDWARE UPDATE WIZARD, Next
8. Choose INSTALL FROM A LIST, Next
9. Choose DON’T SEARCH, I WILL CHOOSE, Next
10. Click on USB DEVICE rather than MTP and let the PC update the driver
11. At this point I rebooted the pc…..don’t know if that was needed, but I won’t hurt.
12. Go to the Sony website and get the latest firmware (1.2) and save it to you desktop
13. Here is the link for the 103F: http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-download.pl?upd_id=4177&mdl=NWZB103F
14. Select the format option in the update window when you run it.
That made the MP3 player functional but Windows Media Player 10 still did not see it, so I upgraded to WMP 11 and that did it………all is good!
Hope this works for you……good luck.
Posted on Dec 26, 2008
I've had that problem with my NWZ-B105F and I was able to fix it with the help of my Mac. I've tried everything on my PC and the computer just don't recognize it. So if you have a friend that has a macintosh, you'll need his help!
1. Plug your mp3 in the mac's USB port (duh!).
2. Open Disk Utility (inside your "utilities" folder).
3. Even if the mp3 itself doesn't mount properly, you can see that disk utility recognize it anyway.
4. Simply format the mp3 player (in MS-DOS FAT16 format... of course!).
5. Your newly formated volume (your mp3 player) should mount with the name "UNTITLED".
6. Just put a fresh set of basic settings (recovered from a working one) by clicking on the link below to download them.
7. THAT'S IT! Your pretty much done!
PS: I suggest upgrading the firmware if you haven't done it before using your mp3 player, and I suggest making the player do another format of his own too, just so it's in the right format, to avoid future problems !
If you need the program to upgrade your firmware, here's the link:
Posted on May 14, 2008
FIXED IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FIXED IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Didthis 3 days ago and it is still working, so I think it is fixed. Thisis what I did. It seems the chip that Sony uses is a Sigmetel 3600. Youhave to download a driver for it. This is where I got it :
Nowrun that program. Next, follow these steps. I don't know if the first 2steps are needed , but I did it anyway. Plug your mp3 in USB slot.
1. Run the Sony firmware update - get that from Sony site.
2. Under Windows , format the drive to FAT, not FAT 32
Now comes the tricky part. ( The following is for Vista, Xp should work same way )
3. Remove your mp3 from USB port. It should still be doing what it was doing.
4.Hold down the play button and CONTINUE to hold it down as you insert itin USB port. Keep holding it until you hear the computer beep that itacknowledges it ( if doesn't after 30 sec, probably has - just didn'tbeep ). Release the button.
5. Go into Device Manager. You willsee a folder for Player Recovery Device or STMP3600 ( or somethingsimilar ). Open that folder and right click on the file in that folder( probably called same thing ). Choose Update Driver.
6. Choose Browse My computer for Driver software .
7. Click browse button and go to the following folder:
8.Find the folder that starts with STMP.. Highlight it and click next.There may be more than one folder with that name, choose the one withthe latest date.
9. You may get a windows error saying it is a dig signed. Accept it anyway.
10. Once updated, remove your mp3.
11.If it doesn't work, run the Sony firmmware update again ( this timewith the format box checked ). If it still doesn't work, try steps 4-10 again.
Posted on Feb 27, 2009
Guys ! I love you. Only one thing. Holding the PLAY butons didn;t help, I had to play with it. BUT IT WORKED ! Thanks !
Posted on Oct 30, 2008
Upgrading ur WIndows Media player to version 11 also helps in browsing the files in USB.
Posted on Jul 23, 2008
Thanks so much for the help..it really works, just follow step by step and then eveythin goes back to the normality!!!!
Posted on May 31, 2008
NWZ-B105F Boot Error Fix
Step 1. Press play while inserting into USB slot
Step 2. Windows recognizes, follow instructions to allow Windows (XP) to search for software (it installs device recovery)
Step 3. Format Drive using My computer/Windows Explorer
Step 4. Install Patch 1.1 from Sony.
Posted on Apr 01, 2008
Holding play all along makes the mp3 reconizable.
thanks a lot !!! it works...
hold play and update firmware evryone ! :D
Posted on Mar 19, 2008
Try to plug the MP3 to the USB port holding the PLAY button while the PC recognize it. THEN update the firmware. The firmware SW should recognize the device. I did with mine and worked OK.
Posted on Feb 24, 2008
But my MP3 is not recognized by my computer.
Posted on Feb 11, 2008
Upgrade the firmware available at "http://support.sony-europe.com/DNA/Downloads/downloads.aspx?l=en&c=WM&sc=NWH&f=FRM_NWD_B10x&m=NWD-B105F".
Use option "Erage existing data" while executing exe.
Take backup of all existing files before upgrade execution.
Posted on Feb 11, 2008
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 01, 2014 | Sony Walkman NWZ-B105F MP3 Player
Sep 04, 2010 | Sony Walkman NWZ-B103F MP3 Player
Sep 02, 2010 | Sony Walkman NWZ-B105F MP3 Player
May 02, 2010 | Sony Walkman NWZ-B105F MP3 Player
Feb 16, 2010 | Sony NWZ-B103FBLK MP3 Player
Oct 18, 2009 | Sony Walkman NWZ-B105F MP3 Player
Jul 07, 2009 | Sony Walkman NWZ-B105F MP3 Player
Apr 01, 2008 | Sony Walkman NWZ-B105F MP3 Player
9,906 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!