LCD screen in speedometer of 1989 Ford LTD ( car )is too faint to read
Is there a way that that LCD display can be made brighter? cant readthe
speedo in the day time, & its not that flash at nighteither.
Do you know the best way to solve this problem? can yousuggest
suppliers of spare parts etc? many thanks Meredith (
Re: LCD screen in speedometer of 1989 Ford LTD ( car )is...
Only by fitting brighter backlight, but this is normally not that easy, depending on the size. Some backlights are part of the LCD assembly, on smaller units they are sometimes side mounted. The contrast on an LCD is usually adjustable - there may be a small potentiometer on it that will adjust the contrast, that may improve matters.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
They will fit the car but are 2 sizes shorter than original equipment. Will make it ride a little rougher, and may make the speedometer read faster than your actual speed. Probably not a huge effect on the speedo.
Many cars have an error on the speed indicated. 10% sounds quite high, next time you buy tyres go for one size bigger or the next profile up, eg, if you are using 70 series go to 75 or 80. That will sort your problem out and you will get better fuel consumption. You can have the speedo calibrated but I would thing that the cost or effort wonuldn't justify the result.
A universal kit will work for your application. Most of the time the center cable is what is damaged.
1. Remove speedometer cable from transmission 2. Remove speedo gear retainer and remove speedo gear. 3. Pull out cable from sheath - If broken you will only get part of it 4. Remove instrument panel and pull out section of cable still trapped in cable sheath if applicable.
For re install follow directions on package.
1. Cable appears un-damaged: Check to make sure the speedo gear is not damaged where the cable enters it. Then also check the back of the speedo head cable hole for damage. 2. You can measure you two broken pieces to arrive at an appropriate length for ordering purposes. 3. Make sure this is well lubricated on install otherwise the speedo can jump up and down or damage the new cable.
The speedo head or cluster is the part that houses the speedometer and tach, etc. now it may be the speedo cable that comes from the transmission to the speedo head that has broken. If so replace the cable and your back in business. If it is the head you can get them from your local recycle yard.
If the spots remain in the same place I'm sorry to say no. Be careful what you clean the screen with. I'm a fan of a warm wet damp only rag. Using alcohol or other cleaners may damage the surface. There are also cleaners available at local stores. You don't need anti-static on an LCD display. The spots can be from pressure on the display applied at some point even if that pressure happens when closing or transpoting your laptop.There is no way to fix it.