Question about Hitachi 51F510 51" Rear Projection HDTV-Ready Television
Hitachi 51F510 TV is 2 1/2 years old with flawless operation. I sold it today, delivered it (because I'm a nice guy), turned it on (with no video signals attached) to prove the TV still worked. Simply displayed "snow" on ANT A input. No problem. Guy calls me an hour later with the subject problem. I went back to his house to investigate. Here is what I know:
- Dish network receiver was only thing plugged in to TV. Guy claims he plugged this in using the composite cable, then turned TV on and problem occurred.
- I tried unplugging the TV for a few minutes (to reset the internal surge protection circuit) but problem still there.
- I unplugged the dish receiver so nothing was attached to TV, unplugged for a few minutes, same result.
- Took batteries out of remote to rule out rogue signal from remote.
- I noticed that the power button had to be pushed TWICE before TV would respond by attempting to turn on. This NEVER was the case before. TV would always respond on the first push (my 1 year old proved that numerous times!!)
Here are my thoughts:
It looks as though the internal surge protection is either damaged or something got damaged in the TV to cause surge circuit to keep shutting off.
- Possible vibration damage during transportation? Not likely since I powered TV on with no problems after delivery.
- Possible condensation inside due to cold-to-warm temperature change? It was about 35 degrees during a 45 minute transport.
- OR CONSIDER THIS PIECE: I noticed his dish receiver was REALLY beat up (buttons missing, etc.). Is it possible there is faulty circuitry with the Dish receiver that has caused some sort of ground fault or introduced unwanted voltage to the input board on the Hitachi to cause damage??
I feel horrible for the buyer. Any ideas?
Sounds like the "deflector board". The part is about $400.
Posted on Jan 21, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 14, 2009 | Hitachi 51F510 51" Rear Projection...
Mar 28, 2008 | Hitachi 51F510 51" Rear Projection...
Feb 15, 2008 | Hitachi 51F510 51" Rear Projection...
Oct 25, 2006 | Hitachi 46UX24B/25K 46" Rear Projection...
131 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: