Recently our microwave oven completely shut down after becoming overheated. It has done this in the past, but always would reset after a few hours. A day after it shut down it is still dead. Do you have any suggestions?
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
There are few reasons for this fault, but the main is that you need to open your microwave oven and first check the Fan which is connected at the back which cools the magnetron.
If this fan fails thus results in magnetron being overheated and the thermal cutoff gets open circiut and shuts down whole power of your microwave oven.
Check your fan motor test it straight with direct power
Also check the thermal cutoff.
The microwave oven has a temperature sensitive thermal fuse, if the magnetron overheats "heats food" it shuts that sector down until it cools down, "up to 30 minutes before it will reset" sometimes the thermal fuse becomes defective opening up because it has become intermittent over time. This is a tricky problem to diagnose and should be checked by somebody who is familiar with these types of devices.
Does your microwave have a "popcorn" setting and are you using it? Is there a rotating table in your machine? Is your popcorn bag elevated on top of a bowl or similar? Are you using some other "sensor" setting? Can you use straight time setting and get it to go past the 1 min 45 second mark?
On my microwave, it takes just about that much time and the popcorn is done ... BUT only if I elevate the bag to about the middle of the oven.
Is not normal for a microwave to shutdown after 4 minutes of operation.
From the info you are providing, It looks like the magnetron might be overheating causing the thermal fuse to shut it down until it cools down. There may also be a loose connection in one of the switches or a cold solder joint in the low voltage power supply.
I would suggest to check and make sure that the fans are functional, If always did; it could be that there isn't much air circulation where the appliance was installed.
It could be an overheating magnetron. There is a thermostat inside (mounted to the side of the magnetron) which senses excessive heat and opens up, disconnecting the power to the oven.
If that's the case, unplugging it and plugging it back in will not fix it. It will come back on by itself after it cools down. That's another indication that it might be a thermostat kicking out.
You might try to further characterize the failure:
- happens only when cooking on full power?
- also happens when cooking on a low power level?
- shuts down every time you use it?
- only shuts down after XX amount of time cooking?
Once you characterize it more, I can make further suggestions.
It may also be a bad connection on the control panel.