BEFORE YOU READ THIS TIP: Opening an Xbox 360 console will void any type of warranty you may have. FixYa.com and I are not responsible for any damages you may inflict on your Xbox 360 console.The tools you will need:
1. A clean, flat working surface
2. Xbox 360 Opening tool
This isn't 100% necessary. But it makes things a whole lot easier. They're about $5 on Ebay
3. A Torx 8 and a Torx 10 screwdriver/bit
4. A flathead screwdriver
5. A flathead precision screwdriver
6. And of course, an Xbox 360Removing the Xbox 360 case
1. First, remove the Xbox 360 faceplate. On the bottom of the Xbox, (right side if your Xbox is horizontal), towards the front, you will see a little notch.
Slide a fingernail in there and gently pull up.
The faceplate should come off with minimal force.
2. Next, you must remove the grey grills on both the top and bottom of the Xbox. (Right and left if your Xbox is horizontal). First, lets remove the top one. (The one the hard drive plugs into). If you look through the little exhaust holes near the top of the Xbox, you will see 3 little tabs on each side holding the grill in place.
Each tab must me unhooked by poking it with a screw driver. The ones towards the front are a little difficult. There are 2 gaps in the top grill that you must slide the screw driver into.
Get the screw driver in between the tab and the white outer case and gently pull the tab away. Towards the other side. At the same time, pull the grill up to unhook the tab. Do the same for the opposite side.
The other 4 tabs, (2 on each side), are much easier. Simply poke the screwdriver through the exhaust holes to push the tabs away from the hooks. Gently pull up on the grill at the same time.
One tab will be covered by a little rubber footie. Just pry the footie up with a finger nail to expose a hole. Poke the screwdriver through that hole.
After you've unhooked all 6 tabs, the grill should easily lift off the Xbox.
Now, for the other grill on the bottom do the same thing. Again, there are 3 tabs on each side. These tabs just have to be poked through the exhaust holes. No need to remove any rubber footie.
3. Now that both grills are off, it's time to remove the main case. If you look on the back of the Xbox, you will see a total of 7 slots. 5 on the right, and 2 on the left.
Take your Xbox 360 opening tool and slide 5 tabs on the right into the 5 slots on the right of the Xbox.
Push with your thumbs to release the locks holding the 2 halves together.
Now do the same with the left side. Only this time, use the side of the opening tool that has the 2 tabs.
*NOTE: The above can also be accomplished without the opening tool. Use a small, flat head precision screwdriver. With one hand push the 2 halves away from each other while carefully sliding the screwdriver into each slot individually.
Now look on the front of the Xbox and you will see 4 locks.
Simply slide a flathead screwdriver under the tab to release each lock. Being careful not to snap off the tabs.
Now lay the Xbox upside down and pull the bottom half of the case off.
To get the top half of the case off, you must use your Torx 10 screwdriver/bit and remove these 6 screws:
Then look on the front of the Xbox at the eject button. Pull the eject button off by grabbing it towards the middle and pulling straight out.
Now, CAREFULLY flip the Xbox back over so its right-side-up and pull off the top half of the case.Removing the DVD Drive:
1. Removing the DVD drive is quite easy. Simply unplug both cables from the back of the drive. And carefully lift the drive straight out.Removing the Fan Shroud:
1. Removing the fan shroud is also very simple. Just use a small flathead screwdriver to pry open the clip connecting it to the fan. Then lift it straight out.Removing the fan:
1. first, you must unplug the fan.
2. To actually remove the fan you must lift up on the upper metal lip and tip the fan out.
3. Now, being very careful of the tall capacitors in front of the fan, pull the fan out.Removing the RF Module:
1. First you must pop off the plastic cover. Do this by using your fingers and pulling the top part off the circuit board. Be very careful.
2. Now remove all 3 screws with your Torx 8 Screwdriver.
3. Now carefully pull the RF Module straight out.Removing the Motherboard:
The Motherboard is the main component of an Xbox 360. Be very careful!
1. Flip the Xbox upside down and take out the remaining screws. There should be 8 small black screws in the middle and 10 brass screws. The black ones use Torx 8 and the brass ones use Torx 10.
2. Now slide your fingers into the DVD drive slot and keep the motherboard from moving while you flip the Xbox back over.
3. Now carefully grab the taller heatsink and pull the mother board out by tipping the front out first, then the back.
4. Place the motherboard down carefully.
Congratulations! Your Xbox 360 is now full disassembled!