Question about Kenmore 63942 Dryer
I'll start with the least expensive problems and work my way up to be somewhat encouraging!
* If the machine fills with water AND it doesn't spin OR pump the water out [and you cannot hear the motor running] the lid switch that triggers the machine may be defective or broken. For safety, washing machines are made so that they cannot spin with the lid open. The lid switch "tells" the washer that the lid is closed, so if it breaks, the washing machine may be able (in some models) to fill but not spin -- in some models, it may not function at all. The switch is inside the washing machine main housing near the door frame. Often you have to raise or open the top or front of the washing machine to get to the switch. Not sure if this is "kosher"or not, but I have checked this myself without taking anything apart by carefully inserting the tip of my finger into the small hole where the lid closes. When I did push the little pad just beneath the surface of the hole, my machine started working. . . when I moved my finger, it quit, so I knew it was the lid trigger switch that I needed to replace.
* If your machine fills up but won't spin and won't pump water out [but you hear the motor running] it could be the pump pulley that has become "frozen" or stuck. To check this, remove the pump from the washer and try to rotate the pulley by hand. If it won't turn fairly freely -- it it's really stiff or won't move at all, or, if the pump belt is broken -- replace it. Many machines have two belts -- if either is broken, it could result in a problem like the one you've mentioned.
* If the washer pumps water out but won't spin, the motor coupler may be broken. Many machines are made by Whirlpool [Kenmore, Roper, etc. are all made by Whirlpool]. These washers use a small, relatively inexpensive motor coupling. It's plastic and rubber and is mounted to the shaft of the motor on one side, and to the transmission on the other. These can wear out with time, and this may be a problem if your machine is an older unit.
* If the washer pumps water out but will not spin or agitate (or, if the water will pump out but the machine will either spin OR agitate but not both), the drive motor may be defective, either totally burned out or only burned out one one of the two sides/directions [the spin/drain is one direction of the reversing motor, the agitation is the opposite direction]. If one of these cycles works and the other doesn't, possibly the drive motor has burned out in one direction only. If this happens, you need to replace the entire motor.
* If you hear a really loud noise when the machine should be spinning, it could be that the spin bearing or basket drive may be worn or seized. These components let the inner tub spin freely inside the outer tub. This would be a repair for a qualified technician.
Posted on Feb 08, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 24, 2015 | Kenmore Samsung Washer Code 4E Water Pump...
Sep 08, 2014 | Whirlpool Cabrio 7.0 Cu. Ft. Super...
Aug 21, 2014 | Whirlpool Thin Twin Washer and Electric...
Jul 10, 2013 | Dryers
First try turning off the machine for 30 minutes. Then check your inlet valve. Shut off valve, switch off machine & see if the water comes full flow. Check the filters on the machine inlet entry, they could be blocked, clean out.
The FH indicates a fill failure and this is usually caused by a bad water valve, flow meter or pressure switch.
One key to determining the cause of the FH error is how fast the error comes up in a cycle. If the error appears within 1 or 2 minutes then the most likely cause will be the water valve or flow meter.
If the error doesn't appear for several minutes then the pressure switch can be the source of the problem.
Both water valves must be turned on and working. Even if a cold wash is selected at some point during the fill the hot water valve will be energized and if there is no water then the FH error will show up. Sometimes a consumer will turn the hot water valve off to save energy but you can't turn one valve off on this washer.
Inlet valves can be purchased thru the net and fitted by you easily.
Feb 27, 2013 | Kenmore Elite HE4 Electric Dryer
If your washing machine will not fill, only hot or cold will fill or is slow to fill then read these tips. I have covered many of the things that can happen in these tips...
Washing Machine Problems No Water
Washing Machine Fix Washing Machine No Water
Apr 13, 2011 | Dryers
Mar 02, 2011 | Dryers
Aug 23, 2010 | Kenmore Dryers
476 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: