I finally found a way to change the Background Image on my Kenwood DDX5032.
Firstly I made up some JPEG (.jpg) images in Photoshop and made these 480(pixels wide) x 234 (pixels high). I then put three of these images on to a USB Thumb Drive, made sure my stereo was on "Tuner" (source set to Tuner) and then switched off the ignition. Then I followed these steps:
- With ignition off, plug in the USB Thumb Drive,
- Turn ignition to accessories,
- Pressed the "Setup" button,
- Pressed the "User Interface" button,
- Pressed the "Memory" button listed under "User Background" (as this was no longer greyed out),
- Selected the picture file I wanted to load,
- Waited for the picture to upload in to the stereo's memory and the screen to return to the "User Interface",
- Pressed the "Change" button under "Background Change",
- Selected the picture I wanted and pressed "Enter",
...and voila, it was done. The instruction manual shows additional information if you have multiple folders or files. I hope this works for you as it did for me.