Question about Actiontec (GT704WG) Router
I DONT KNOW WHY THE LAST COUPLE OF WEEK WHEN i TURN ON MY WIRELESS LAPTOP I GET CONNECTED TO A WIRELESS CONECTION (nETGEAR ONDEMAND)INSTEAD TO MY ROUTER CONNECTION??iS SOMEONE ELSE LOKING MY COMPUTER OR WHAT??
The wireless card in you laptop somehow has connected to an unsecured wireless network instead of your wireless router.
Can you view the wireless network in your area and can you see your wireless router?
If your wireless router is unsecured then anyone can connect into your wireless router and network/Internet connection.
To connect to your wireless router, it needs its wireless settings configured and also need the wireless card in all the laptops and or computers to be configured with the router’s wireless settings. Then the laptops and desktop computers can communicate with your wireless router.
To set-up and secure the wireless router from unauthorized access, follow these steps: -
1. Connect the wireless router to your computer with a LAN cable.
2. Start your browser and enter the router's configuration URL IP address.
3. Enter the router setup, login and password
4. Change the admin password
5. Go to the wireless settings and change the default SSID and turn off SSID broadcast.
6. Setup encryption key the strongest is WPA2 (if not then WPA).
7. For further security measures - turn on MAC address filtering and enter the MAC address of the wireless cards on the computer/s you want to connect to this wireless router.
8. Record the settings you have made and keep it in a safe place and Save the settings.
9. Configure the wireless cards on the computer/s with the SSID and encryption settings of the router.
10. Remove the LAN cable between the router and the computer then the computers should be able to connect to the router wirelessly.
Posted on Nov 18, 2009
Very, very highly unlikely. It doesn't work like that.
Netgear is probably the manufacturer of your wireless card, and the rubbish software they give you is freaking you out.
Posted on Nov 18, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 27, 2010 | D-Link DIR-615 Wireless Router
Nov 29, 2009 | Computers & Internet
Nov 15, 2009 | Belkin (F5D72304F5D7000) Router
May 17, 2009 | Belkin Computers & Internet
Mar 13, 2009 | NetGear WGT624 Wireless Router
Sep 30, 2008 | Computers & Internet
Sep 23, 2008 | D-Link 802.11g Wireless Router WBR-1310...
Jun 14, 2008 | Dell Wireless 2350 Router
194 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: