Question about Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Microwave repair, 6 year old White-Westinghouse WW1000

All functions work, but doesn't heat. Faint burning smell.

Posted by on

  • Jofish Jan 09, 2008

    Have a nice day.



1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Master
  • 579 Answers

High voltage parts: Capacitor, Diode, Magnatron are suspect. Need to put a voltmeter on the input (primary) side to the high-voltage transformer (big heavy iron thing in there) Should be getting 120Vac when it goes to cook cycle. Don't touch the other (high voltage) side of this transformer. If the power is there, you are looking at replacing either the magnatron or the high-voltage capacitor and diode. Its affordable if you do it yourself - buy the part on EBAY - lookup "universal magnatron"
Hope ya fix it!

Posted on Jan 09, 2008


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

G.E Microwave model JVM1860 Burning Smell

you must open inside see the diagram, and see 1) burn cable 2) fuse 3) diode 4) capacitor 5) magnetron 6) bulb etc.
God bless you

Nov 22, 2013 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

We have a GE JVM1540 space saver microwave. It is less than a year old. Will not heat and immediately starts smelling like burning plastic. Any ideas as to what is causing that?


Feb 18, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1540 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My Kenmore 721.626222 which I have had about 6 years, runs but does not heat. There is also a strange smell - something like a burning smell.

When the oven does not heat, the problem is usually due to the magnetron failing. It the part that generates the microwaves that heat the food. It fails by shorting out causing a loud buzzing noise. The burning smell is the being magnetron overloaded due to the short. It not worth fixing since the replacement cost of a magnetron is close to the price of a new oven. Sorry.

Feb 09, 2011 | Kenmore 62622 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Was using it last night to heat something up. When almost done, microwave made a zizt type of sound and went off. I turned it back on and it continued cooking, but I started smelling burned plastic or

More common then you think, i have gone through a couple microwaves in the last ten years, they both failed very similar to what you describe. One popped the breaker one day, reset the breaker and it worked again but had an odd smell to it. I took it apart and couldn't find anything burnt or melted so i tossed it and got a new one, i didn't want a microwave burning the house down! I would suggest unless your really tied to that microwave that you just replace it for safety sake. Four years or forty years old don't matter anymore, i had one microwave, LG brand, that died two months after the warranty expired and it would cost more to repair it then replace the thing!

Jan 11, 2018 | Panasonic NN-H964 1200 Watts Microwave...

1 Answer

Burning smell and won't heat.

If it buzzes real loud it's probably the high volyage diode. However some times if it smells it's the transformer. Usually the diode is a cheap fix ~$10.00 but this model the diode is $50. It's number 50 on the link below. Let me know how it works out or you need anything else.

Apr 19, 2009 | GE JVM1440 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My sharp microwave is under 6 months old. I was

It may be a shorted high voltage diode.

Since it's less than one year old, it would be fully covered under warranty. I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer to get it fixed free.

You can contact Sharp at 1-800-BE-SHARP (1-800-237-4277) or visit them online.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Feb 28, 2009 | Sharp R-1610 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE Spacemaker microwave won't heat food

hello kmwnky,
You say that Everything went out at first ( which I assume means that all functions went dead) and then functions started to operate again later... if that is correct and you smelled something burning.. you may have a thermal fuse that failed, filament transformer that failed, magnetron tube that failed or a highvoltage capacitor that failed.. None of these components are something the untrained person should attempt to trouble shoot or replace since there are dangerous energies stored inside the electronics compartment even after power is removed.. Your Micro is > 8 years old and it's probably not worth the cost of repairing at this point. You'd be better served replacing it.. The cost to repair would exceed the cost to replace.. ( I feel like the grim reaper here..sorry..)

Nov 28, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

2 Answers

GE Spacesaver JVM 1651 Not heating, making burning smell

Fisrt, check to be sure your missing cat it not inside the unit. IF the interior is dirty (splatters, grease, etc.) , it may inhibit the unit from working properly.


Nov 22, 2008 | GE JVM1651 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

382 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9098 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17130 Answers


Level 3 Expert

77932 Answers

Are you a Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides