Dell computer running windows xp will not boot. NTLDR compressed
best thing to do if you can get one is a propper install disk and then follow these instructions..
1. Start the Recovery Console. If you do not have the Recovery Console installed, start it from the Windows Xp compact disc (CD). To do this, follow these steps:
a. Insert the Windows XP CD and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.
b. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R.
c. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the recovery console.
d. When prompted, type the Administrator password.
2. At the command prompt, type "cd \" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.
3. Type "ren ntldr ntldr.old" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.
4. Type "map" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.
5. Note the drive letter assigned to the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD. It is displayed in a format similar to the following: D: \Device\CdRom0
6. Type "expand <drive>\i386\ntldr._" (without the quotation marks) (where <drive> is the drive letter of the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD), and then press ENTER. For example:
Expand d:\i386\ntldr._ <ENTER>
Note the underscore character after the "."
The following message appears: ntldr, 1 file(s) expanded.
7. Type "exit" (without the quotation marks). The computer restarts.
8. Remove the Windows XP CD and start the computer normally.
Jul 07, 2009 |
Compaq Presario 4090US (470016-303) PC...