Question about GE JVM1190 Microwave Oven
I have a Spacesaver that seems use 1.58 KW. Now and then it will trip the circuit breaker, which is a 15 Amp circuit. I suppose it is not rocket science to see that the 1.58 KW takes the whole 15 Amps and blows the breaker, but I am wondering if there is any way short of rewiring a 20 Amp circuit just for this microwave to cut down on the load this draws, and still have it work.
I do notice that the particular breaker switch is somewhat loose in its slot in the box. That may be a factor, but I don't know. The kitchen lights are on this line as well, so we try using the microwave with no lights on when it acts up, but it still will blow the breaker, once it starts doing it. It works for a bit, then blows it.
I don't think just reducing cooking power will help, as I think that just cycles the main tube on and off.
Any ideas here?
Since power = voltage X current, 1.58kW / 120VAC = 13.166A
So this unit should be fine on a 15A breaker unless the breaker is bad, the wiring or a connection is loose somewhere between the breaker and the microwave, or the microwave's magnetron or high voltage transformer are failing and drawing extra current.
Microwaves should really be on the own separate breaker if at all possible. Plus, the more a breaker trips, the more work out it gets.
Have you measured the voltage at the outlet? If that's off, current and power will be affected. It should be about 110-125VAC.
A good power test for outlet and wiring integrity is a toaster, toaster oven, or hair dryer rated at about 1500 watts.
If it doesn't run and heat steadily, then there may be a problem with the house wiring or breaker.
If it passes this test, the problem is likely in the microwave.
We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Jan 13, 2008
My GE spacemaker trips the breaker too. It has it's own breaker. After checking the outlet with a lamp, I changed the fuse but that is not the remedy. If the micro's door is closed I can flip the breaker on and it operates/cooks fine even withthe interior light on but has the word RESET on the readout just above the control touch pad. When on if I attempt to program a cook time, none of the key pad works but the word reset does disappear. Soon as I open the door after cooking, the breaker trips again when I opoen the door.
I will try the outlet suggestion with the toaster and see if the outlet can handel the watts/amps. If not the outlet wiring or outlet itself, I am open to other suggestions.
Please go easy on me....I am a single disabled mother who is playing Mrs. Fix It, but I am known as the Martha Stewart and Norm Abrum/Bob Villa of single moms. I have more power tools and knowledge than most men (thanks to my deceased father who was a contractor) but electrical is a bit more challenging for me expecially when attempting to diagnose.
Posted on Mar 19, 2011
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 31, 2015 | GE Microwave Ovens
Apr 14, 2014 | LG LMV1813ST Microwave Oven
Either you have defected (weak) circuit breaker and wiring or bad Microwave oven.
The 99.99 % house hold Microwave ovens pull less than 15 Amps. They may have internal ceramic 15A fuse or 15 Amp internal circuit breaker.
To isolate your problem:
Plug your Microwave oven to different areas (different electrical circuit) if the different circuit breaker still trips... your Microwave oven has a short - Most of them has a small ceramic fuse 15 amps fuse.-also check some inter lock switches at door .
If the Microwave oven works Ok then you may have:
2a. You may overload the existing electrical circuit, try to unplug some other appliances
2b. You may have bad electrical outlet receptacle (Replace it with the same type , - may need helps from licensed electrician)
2c. Weak or defect house hold circuit breaker. (Replace it with the same type , brand - may need helps from licensed electrician)
Jan 24, 2014 | Goldstar Microwave Ovens
Jan 31, 2013 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Circuit Breakers do weaken over usage. It is not usually a time factor as much as a load factor. Each time a circuit breaker trips, it loses its ability to carry the same load as it did previously. In other words, a 15 amp breaker only carries the ability to carry 15 amps once. I recommend replacing the circuit breaker with one that has a matching rating. If you do feel up sizing is necessary, check the load rating of the appliances to make sure the additional size really is necessary. Increasing power to appliances that shouldn't need it increases the risks of potential electrical fires and masking real issues. Try changing it with higher amp breakers.
Please accept the solution if it's helpful. Do get back to us for any further query.
Thanks for contacting fixya.com
Sep 27, 2010 | Microwave Ovens
Sep 23, 2010 | Maytag Microwave Ovens
Jun 19, 2010 | GE JVM1441 Microwave Oven
May 09, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Apr 11, 2010 | Danby DMW112 Microwave Oven
Mar 08, 2010 | Hotpoint RVM1435 Microwave Oven
1,686 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: