Question about Microsoft Windows XP Professional
The Error Code 646 can occur if the Windows Update Agent Wups2.dll
file is registered incorrectly in the Operating System registry. So
when you try to install a Windows Update, because the registry files
that correspond to the Wups2.dll file are missing, the update installation fails.
Follow these steps to properly register the Windows Update files and resolve the issue:
1. Click the Start button, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then click Notepad.
2. In the Untitled - Notepad window, either copy and paste or manually type the following commands into the text field:
REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUCLTUX.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUWEBV.DLL /S
REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL /S
REGSVR32 MSXML3.DLL /S
3. On the menu bar, click File.
4. In the File menu, click Save As.
5. In the Save As window, in the File name field, type Register.bat.
6. In the Save as type field, click the down arrow and click to select All Files (*.*).
7. Click the Browse Folders button.
8. Browse to the Desktop folder, and then click the Save button.
9. In the Register.bat - Notepad window, click the X in the upper-right corner to close the window.
10. On the Desktop, right-click the Register.bat file, and then click "Run As Administrator".
NOTE: If prompted for an Administrator password or a User Account Control prompt is displayed, type the appropriate password, click Continue or click Yes.
11. Once the Register.bat file has run, click the Start button, click All Programs, then click Windows Update and try to install updates again.
12. NOTE: If the updates still fail to install properly, it may be necessary update the version of the Windows Update Agent software installed on the Computer.
Follow the steps in Microsoft KB Article ID 949104 to download and install the latest version of the Windows Update Agent software.
Posted on Nov 18, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 24, 2010 | Microsoft Windows? Vista Home Premium...
Mar 21, 2010 | Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium with...
Jan 12, 2010 | Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic Edition
Dec 19, 2009 | Microsoft Windows 98 Year 2000 Update for...
Dec 13, 2009 | Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic Edition...
Nov 18, 2009 | Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium with...
Nov 14, 2009 | Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium with...
Nov 09, 2009 | Microsoft Outlook with Business Contact...
Oct 24, 2009 | HP Pavilion dv1000 Notebook
286 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: