Question about Computers & Internet
When you power up the wireless router and the LEDs are ON then the router appears to be OK and this also applies to the DSL or cable modem.
To check if the modem is configured to your ISP settings and connects to the Internet, connect the modem with a LAN cable to your laptop and check if you can connect to the Internet.
Next, the wireless router needs the wireless settings configured and then configure the wireless card in the laptop with these settings so it can communicate with the wireless router.
To set-up and secure the wireless router from unauthorized access, follow these steps: -
1. Connect the wireless router to your computer with a LAN cable.
2. Start your browser and enter the router's configuration URL IP address.
3. Enter the router setup, login and password
4. Change the admin password
5. Go to the wireless settings and change the default SSID and turn off SSID broadcast.
6. Setup encryption key the strongest is WPA2 (if not then WPA).
7. For further security measures - turn on MAC address filtering and enter the MAC address of the wireless cards on the computer/s you want to connect to this wireless router.
8. Record the settings you have made and keep it in a safe place and Save the settings.
9. Configure the wireless cards on the computer/s with the SSID and encryption settings of the router.
10. Remove the LAN cable between the router and the computer then the computers should be able to connect to the router wirelessly.
Posted on Nov 14, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 19, 2014 | Computers & Internet
Apr 08, 2012 | Samsung R519-53S Notebook
Apr 11, 2010 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Mar 14, 2010 | Acer Aspire One Netbook 8.9" Notebook
Feb 05, 2010 | Compaq Armada E500 Notebook
Oct 26, 2009 | Computers & Internet
Oct 25, 2009 | E-Machines 6809 Notebook
Jun 03, 2009 | Acer Aspire 5610-4648 Notebook
Apr 29, 2009 | ASUS Wi-Fi@HOME (WIFIG80211G) 802.11g/b...
Dec 21, 2008 | Dell Dimension 8200 PC Desktop
395 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: