Compressor was working fine, cycled several times. Then motor tried to start but couldn't, was using long extension cord at the time, probably not enough amps. Unplugged it immediately, an hour later plugged into 20 amp outlet with no extension cord and now wont start. On off switch is now difficult to move back and forth. Twin stack model hl5502
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
You didn't provide all pertinent info available to you. Lets take what we have; and, consider why your compressor is overloading the circuit breaker. Points to ponder:
Not knowing the exact model (not series) I don't know what the amperage pull is for your "extreme" compressor or the circuit breaker's rating. A 25 amp compressor connected to a 25 amp breaker could be an issue.Campbell Hausfeld's support pages are crashing so I can't check the possabilites.
Are you using a lightweight extension cord? The lower the rating of an extension cord the higher the amp pull on the breaker. If you eliminate the extension cord does the problem go away? Ohm's Law applies. <http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms-law-calculator>
What else is on this breaker? Is there other high-amp equipment in another room (water cooler, window air-conditioner, portable electric heater, etc.) pulling from this same circuit breaker.
Is the circuit breaker not performing to specification? I've seen failing breakers trip early.
First, check the owner's manual for power requirements. Next step, use no extension cord; and, insure nothing else is pulling power on that breaker. Then, use a different breaker and see if the problem follows the compressor. If all else checks out than I'd consider binding in the compressor causing the amp pull to be too high.
Small, easy to transport air compressors have become very popular over the last 25 years. However they do have their drawbacks. The motors on these small compressors generate alot of heat as they cycle, especially under higher tank pressures (PSI's) and air volume usage (CFM's). They work very hard and run more frequently. In time, this heat creates increased resistance in the rotating armature windings (which act as quickly reversing magnets against magnets in the outer case of the motor for thrust to rotate). The magnetic force weakens, the motor gets weaker and hotter and has to work harder to do the same job. When an air compressor motor seizes in it's cycle and hums or buzzes, it is over heating to a point where a thermostactic relay will break electrical contact (to prevent Fire) and the motor will have to cool before it will run again. each time this happens you are reducing the life of the motor by several hours.
To maximize the life of your compressor, use the following guidelines:
1.Always use the shortest possible cord and plug directly into a 20 amp cicuit when possible,no extension cords! SHORT WIRE+LONG AIRHOSE- electrical current is lost through longer wire and requires a larger gauge (diameter) to carry the current.
2.Make sure the plug contacts are clean- as with automobile batteries:CORROSION=RESISTANCE=HEAT=WEAR.
3. Should your compressor begin to stall during its cycle, attempt to turn it off or quickly or reduce the pressure in the air tank to reduce the load on the motor- while the motor is moving a fan blows air through it to cool it.
4.Should the motor overheat, let it cool untill you can touch it with your hand and bleed most of the air from the tank to minimize the start-up work load.
5.Remember to try to drain the tank after each use to minimize corrosion due to moisture and minimize load the next time you start it up.
Following these guidelines will increase the life of your compressor motor several months if not years.
-Remember- BROKEN TOOLS CAN'T HELP YOU BUILD OR FIX ANYTHING
It is a 15 amps motor and will need 6 times (90) that amount of amps to start up. Plugging it into a 15 amps circuit may work but a 20 amps circuit is more apropiate. Kitchen circuits are 20 amp circuits.
You can try plugging the compressor directly into the wall and see if it refills with air without trippiing the circuit breaker. Using an extension cord should be done with a #12 or #10 wire gage type, smaller type will cause a power loss in the cord and will cause the compressor motor to trip the circuit breaker.
Power formula is I square R, or the amps multiplied by itself and by the resistance of the wire. E.G. 90x90x4 = 3200 watts. This is at start up. To find the voltage drop divide the watts by current, 3200/90 = .... get the point? Keep voltage drops to a minimum, use heavy wire gage extension cords.
If you are using an extension cord this will happen. If using an extension cord make sure it is a 12ga.If you are not using an extension cord then it could be a bad motor or low voltage from the source.
the motor is working too hard or the power source is not adequate or you are using a extension cord never use a extension cord for a air compressor you will destroy the motor over time use longer hose and plug it in to the outlet directly
Sounds like the compressor, starting capacitor has failed, you will need a repairman to check it out, i'm not sure if your models capacitor can be replaced seperately or if you need the whole compressor replaced. Good luck !
This may seem a bit simplistic but how are you hooked up to the outlet? Are you using an extension cord or is the compressor plugged in only using the supplied power cord? If you are using an extension cord then you are going to pop the breaker every time you use it. Infact the manual states
"Never use an extension cord with this product. Use additional air hose instead of an extension cord to avoid power loss and permanent motor damage. Use of an extension cord voids the warranty." Air compressors don't like extension cords. It simply draws to much for an extension cord to handle.
Depending on whether or not your warranty is out there is a simple solution. Find the biggest gauge extension cord you can
If your not using an extension cord and it's ran in the past where it's
plugged in now then check the circuit because there must be new draw on
You said the breaker is 20amp. correct? The compressor should be run on a breaker dedicated to the compressor only.
Even though you should use a longer hose instead of a longer power cord you can get away with it. But forget about wire gauge size you need to think wire diameter. The extension cord I made for my compressor is approximately 3/4" thick. That is the only way I was able to use an extension cord on mine. A good place to get that size cable is a boat supply store. The cable used for shore power on boats works. Hope this helps but if not please let me know and I'll try and help anyway I can to solve your problem.
unplug it and see if you can turn the motor pulley by hand, it should turn freely. If it does, check to see if the motor runs with the belt off. If the motor runs by itself then either the belt was too tight or the compressor is seized.
How quickly does it shut off? Is it reaching the turn off psi? or is it immediate. If it is immediate then it is probably a power supply issue. Air compressors are power hogs. For instance, a compressor may work fine on an outlet using the supplied power cord, but plug it into an extension cord that is insufficient for it and a repeat of your problem will occur. If you use an extension cord make sure it is made just for this kind of application. Also, if possible, give the compressor a dedicated circuit. Another problem might be your unloader valve not working correctly. This reliefs the pressure inside the pump after the motor has stopped. it would sound like the pump is working extra hard at start-up.
Hi, First, I think the cutoff pressure is 135psi and there is an overpressure valve so let it run a little longer. I don't know exactly which model you have ( some of these were oil less) but if it is running longer than you remember, be sure to check the oil if necessary, make sure you are not using a long extension as this will cause the motor to slow down and definitely check to make sure the water is drained and the drain petcock is closed all the way. Also check it without an air hose attached. Good Luck!