COMPLETELY unplug your computer before attempting this:
You need to remove the computer casing, usually there are screws in the rear of the unit, or some units have the sides that slide off.... Get a can of Air, and some cue-tips, and clean out your fan for both the power supply, your processor, and any other fan inside of the unit... Get rid of all that dust. This should be done maybe once every few months at least. Yes, get rid of ALL the dust... be sure to be careful while doing this, do not want u to damage the computer>.<
There's more if that doesnt work, but I'm not sure how technically sound you are, so I don't want to throw too much at you all at once :-) Lemme kno if that works.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
When you are sure you have a good battery and the voltage regulator works fine, I should think there is something eating power during the time you switched off. Years and years ago sometime a car radio was connected wrong and would not switch off when the contact was off. Now you should disconnect the battery when you switched of and use a huge ampere meter DC to see if and if so what current is "leaking" away If there is no current, then check the barrery and the voltage regulator.
UPS – UNINTERRUPTIBLE POWER SUPPLY Uninterruptible power supplies provide protection against mains power faults to computer equipment. These faults include voltage spikes/interference, over voltage and under voltage, mains supply interruptions and surge protection etc. These faults can cause computer and electronic equipment that are connected to an unprotected mains supply to malfunction and/or sometimes fail. A common problem, when burning Cds, DVDs etc. any slight power interruptions to the burning process will halt the recording process and rendered the disc useless. There two type of Uninterruptible Power Supplies The lower powered and cheaper type UPS are switch-over types, when the mains supply fails, the UPS switches over to the batteries and inverter in milli-seconds which then supplies mains power to the computer and peripherals. A faulty inverter circuit and or flat batteries won’t deliver standby power when the mains supply fails. NOTE : The mains waveform from these UPS is a pseudo sine wave (i.e. not a true sine wave). The true UPS types are usually the higher KVA units (over 1500 VA) that supply continuous mains power. The mains power is connected to a charger which charges the batteries and then the inverter draws power from these batteries and converts it to true sine wave mains power to the computer equipment, therefore there is no switch over time lag when the mains supply fails.
that is because the power outlet it is plugged into probably doesn't have a steady voltage. which means that if more things are plugged into the outlet then the power could be going from 120 volts to 99 volts to 130 volts and it could be going up and down like that. your ups thinks that when the power goes really low or really high their is a power outage or surge. so it clicks to battery. then when the voltage steadies out it clicks to house current. you will need to configure the ups to have to tolerate that kind of voltage. by plugging the data cord in to your computer it is either a Ethernet to usb or usb to usb, you know a cord that plugs into the ups to the computer to let you configure it.
I have to answer this question with just plain old common sense. Get a new one! This is crazy. If you get a new one, you will have a better, more upto date and something you can handle with todays OS and obviously new batteries. That is too old to mess with. I fixed a powerware once and the plastic was falling apart and the PC board was held together with a rubber band. Not worth it.
You might need to change sockets. If that doesn't work, you might need a new power cord. If when you get a new power cord and it still doesn't work, then there is something wrong with computer internally and it needs to be taken to a shop.
First, most of the UPS sensitivity can be adjusted. Setting a higher sensitivity will make the UPS compensable much faster if the current goes to high to too low thus always providing a good power quality to the equipments. For example, on a BackUPS RS the low level can be configured from 94V to 104V and the high level from 126V to 136V. An entry-level UPS such as the APC BackUPS ES will switch to battery mode as soon as the power goes out of the sensitivity range. On the other hand, a high-end UPS for workstation like the APC BackUPS RS has a feature called Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR) that compensate at some extent without requiring the battery; this makes the battery last longer before needing to be replaced.
Second, most of the UPS have "Battery Protected" and "Surge only" outlets. Make sure that the computers are connected to the "Battery Protected". The "Surge only" outlets will only protect from parasites or surges like a thunder storm. They should be used for less important stuff like a desk lamp or devices with high demand peek such as a laser printer.
Third, the use of a power bar connected to the "Battery Protected" side should not have any impact as long as it is not overloading the UPS. Personnaly, I have a power bar connected to both my UPS.
The simplest would be to connect the power supply to a motherboard since this is where the on/off switch is also connected. The power supply needs to be triggered on before it will operate. Plugging in power from the mains is not enough.
Alternately in most PC power supplies, you can try force triggering to turn it on with just your fan and lights connected. This is done by shorting the Green (or Gray in some) wire to the GND (black) wire on the biggest connector.
In most modern power supply designs, it needs a load across the +5V rail
(latch on) to operate otherwise it will power on but then immediately switch off
when it senses that there is no load connected. Sometimes this can be defeated by shorting the Orange (Power Good) wire to the Red (+5) wire.
A word of caution, some old Dell power supply as well as a few other brands do not follow the standard wiring color coding
Hope that this be of some help/idea. Pls post back how things worked out or should you need additional information.