Question about D-Link DI 514 Wireless Router (DI-514)
SSID you will define this to your liking so that when the computers in the house search for a wireless connection you are able to pick the one you set up. Some names you can use are like "Patrick A" or "The Incredible Pat" or "No Man's Land" - You get my drift.
WPA2 is the type of security you can specify. You will see a drop down of 4-5 others. I believe WPA or WPA2 in the dropw down will allow you to type your own password thats 8 characters long. The other options if chosen, you will be told what your password is and its usually some long 16 digit key.
This way if anyone comes over the house and asks to connect to your wireless network you are able to give them the password from memory b/c you defined it. Kind regards
Posted on Nov 13, 2009
To set-up and secure the wireless router from unauthorized access, follow these steps: -
1. Connect the wireless router to your computer with a LAN cable.
2. Start your browser and enter the router's configuration URL IP address.
3. Enter the router setup, login and password
4. Change the admin password
5. Go to the wireless settings and change the default SSID and turn off SSID broadcast.
6. Setup encryption key the strongest is WPA2 (if not then WPA).
7. For further security measures - turn on MAC address filtering and enter the MAC address of the wireless cards on the computer/s you want to connect to this wireless router.
8. Record the settings you have made and keep it in a safe place and Save the settings.
9. Configure the wireless cards on the computer/s with the SSID and encryption settings of the router.
10. Remove the LAN cable between the router and the computer then the computers should be able to connect to the router wirelessly.
Posted on Nov 13, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get 2 Free calls (no credit card required) and instant help on almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, appliances, handyman, and even pets).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 27, 2013 | Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
May 12, 2012 | Linksys WRT54GL 802.11b/g Wireless...
Oct 04, 2010 | Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G 54Mbps...
Mar 17, 2010 | Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
Nov 17, 2009 | Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
Nov 12, 2009 | Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
Jun 04, 2009 | Computers & Internet
Jul 12, 2008 | Linksys WRT54GX4 WIRELESS 802.11G...
101 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!