First check if you are using compatible cartridges for the printer. Use the following weblink to check for compatible cartridges for lexmark printers:
if using correct carts and still issue, then you may try the following to clean the cartridges and print contacts:
Remove the cartridges from the printer. Take a dry lint free paper towel and gently wipe the contacts on the back of the cartridge (not the bottom from where ink is present). Wipe the contacts inside the printer (on cartridge carrier). Snap the cartridges back into the cartridge carrier and check if it prints color.
To clean cartridge nozzles:
Click on "Start," go to "All Programs," and down to the Lexmark. Click on the "Solution Center." Next, click on the "Maintenance" tab. Select "Clean to fix horizontal strips." This will produce a printed page.
The colors that you should see here are black, yellow, magenta (a reddish purple) and cyan (a dark sky blue). You should notice the diagonal lines above and below the solid horizontal lines. These diagonal lines should be solid from left to right with no gaps.
If there are gaps in the lines or the print diminishes across the page, you should run the "Clean to fix horizontal strips" page a couple more times to try and clear it up. If you still have gaps at the top and bottom, you should "wick" the cartridges by following the steps given below:
1. Please open the "Solution Center" again and go to the "Maintenance" Tab.
2. Select "Install color/black cartridge" and remove the cartridge (or cartridges) from the printer.
3. Get a damp paper towel.
4. Set the ink cartridge right side up on the damp paper towel so that the ink nozzles are against the towel and hold the cartridge in this position for about 15 seconds.
5. Now wipe the print head (on the bottom where the ink comes out) across in one direction only (left to right) until it looks clean. Also, wipe the contacts inside the printer (on cartridge carrier).
6. Next dab the cartridge on the towel to make sure that the ink is flowing.
7. Snap the cartridges back into the printer.
8. On your computer, select "Old Cartridge install."
9. Repeat the "Clean to fix horizontal strips" one more time. If this fails to address the problem, the entire procedure may need repeating.
Hope dis helps u...