Question about Apple (661-2795) for iMac Motherboard
I'm sure if you open up the Console app in utilities and search for NVDA, you'll see opengl errors. I also assume you have an NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT.
I believe this is a fairly common problem with the Nvidia cards. When you do anything that uses the GPU heavily, it overheats and it is fried. Apple won't admit to it and fix for free. You have to pay for repair.
Posted on Jan 27, 2010
Probably itz either minor case of software corruption/improperground/cpu fan..
or major case of faulty or defective main board/ram/cpu..
..plz do check the following as in order:..
the Hardware part:..
1)see if the ram(s) is loose/faulty..open clean/remove carbon & oroxide formed on the teeth with an eraser n resit it..or replace with astandby n see..
2) 4) see if ur hdd is noisy or emitting any 'ticking' noise (like 'tuk tuk' or 'kirr kirr'), if sour hdd is likely to b replaced..
3)remove/clean dust neatly..dust is non-uniform in nature n may causejam/short circuitry/excess resistance n many more..resulting an increasein heat..
4) open the CPU Heat-Sink with fan out of the socket..put some "Heat SinkCompound" (available in local electronics chip level spare market)between the cpu/processor and the CPU Heat Sink *** fan..resit/fit ittightly in position..
5) on main/mother board..see with a debugcard for mb error..may b short..look for defective capacitors(esp above1000mfd)/mosfets..go through the mb's south bridge n the circuit liearound atx connector..the crystal clock generator (if cpu isn't heating up)....
the Software part:..
1) hv a licensed and UPDATED antivirus installed (i preferavg/kaspersky,remember, without updation a full version antivirus isuseless)..
2) download, install n run microsoft kb890830..http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en..
3) download n run Startup Control Panel..http://download.cnet.com/Startup-Control-Panel/3000-2094_4-10039330.html..'remove allthe unnecessary startup items from here..(if u can't find what toremove, post me/us in ur comment with all the items listed in each nevery tabs herein)..
4) remove all unnecessary software from add/remove programs..
5) download, install n run 'Advanced System Care Pro'..http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare-Pro/3000-2086_4-10399324.html..
6)disable the following:..
a) 'Automatically Restart' right click onmy computer->properties->advanced->startup nrecovery->(uncheck on the) Automatically Restart;
b)'Error Reporting'right click on my computer->properties->advanced->errorreporting->disable error reporting->(uncheck on the) 'but notifyme when critical erroroccur'..
7) Increase the size of Virtual Memory, Initial: 1440; Maximum: 2880
if u r bot a professional, always better to seek advise from ur system admin/vendor....
Posted on Nov 12, 2009
Yes the first answer is a well known problem and I have the same problem. Problem is today's OSX and applications are using openGL libraries more which causes the graphics card to overheat. To alleviate I recommend SMC fan control - free download. Set all the fan speeds to middle and keep an eye on the GPU heatsink temperature. Try and keep the temperature as close to 30C.
I am also looking to upgrade the graphics card with more memory and dedicated openGL hardware support.
Posted on Jan 19, 2012
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 08, 2017 | 2007 Infiniti M35 Sedan
Jul 09, 2010 | HP TouchSmart tx2z
Jun 03, 2010 | Apple iMac G5 Desktop
Feb 07, 2010 | Apple 24" iMac Desktop
May 09, 2009 | Apple 24" iMac Desktop
Nov 07, 2008 | Sony HDR-SR12 HDD Camcorder
Apr 08, 2008 | Canon XL2 Mini DV Digital Camcorder
2,228 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: