Try these steps first:
1. Check ink level.
2. Nozzle Check Pattern
3. Print Head Cleaning / Head Refreshing
- Load A4- or letter-size plain paper in the Auto Sheet Feeder (ASF) or cassette.
- Press the <Feed Switch> button to select the appropriate paper source.
- Press <Menu> repeatedly until [MAINTENANCE] appears.
- Press <OK>.
The machine prints a nozzle check pattern.
- Confirm the pattern is not broken, missing, or a specific color is not printed.
If the printed Nozzle Check Pattern is broken, missing, or a specific color is not printed, clean the print head.
- Press the <Menu> button on the printers operation panel repeatedly until [MAINTENANCE] appears in the LCD.
the left [<] or right [>] arrow buttons to select the cleaning
setting you want. Select [HEAD CLEANING] or [HEAD REFRESHING] for deep
print head cleaning.
Note: [HEAD REFRESHING] uses more ink than [HEAD CLEANING], so perform [HEAD REFRESHING] only when necessary.
- Press the <OK> button.
- Print a Nozzle Check Pattern and perform at least two Head Refreshings if the pattern is not correct.
You can also try using a higher quality print settings as follows:
Change the Print Quality Settings (Windows)
Quality setting controls how finely ink droplets are placed on the
printed page. Depending on the type of paper being used a higher Print
Quality setting does not always insure a better print. Print speed will
decrease as the Print Quality setting is increased. Follow the
instructions below to change the print quality settings in the Canon
printer driver for the Windows operating system through a printing
- Click 'Properties' in the Print dialog box.
Note: Depending on the Application software, 'Properties' may be displayed as 'Preferences'.
- Set the desired print quality in the 'Print Quality' section.
- Select 'High', 'Standard', or 'Draft / Fast'.
To set more detailed print quality settings, follow this procedure:
- Select 'Custom' and click 'Set'.
- In the Set Print Quality dialog drag the slide bar from 'Fast' to 'Fine' to select the print quality.
Note: There are five options in 'Quality'. However, selectable options are limited depending on the media type.
- Select 'Auto', 'Dither', or 'Diffusion' from the 'Halftoning' section.
If the above steps do not solve your problem, it may be a time to purchase a new printhead.