Had "File System Corrupt!" message appear on my
RCA H115A after a bit over a year. PC wouldn't recognize it, and it wouldn't
stay turned on.
Following advice (thanks folks), I uncovered the screw under the barcode and
popped the back with the help of my knife. I didn't notice that the connection
from the hard drive was loose, but pulled it out, wiped everything off, and
reconnected. It worked!
They don't give this at the help desk, but it seems to be a common problem with
many models. Looks like the connection isn't very tight.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
I had same issue and found a law office that filed a class action against RCA/Thompson. Here is the result:
Thank you for contacting David P. Meyer & Associates Co., LPA about the action our law firm filed against Thomson regarding RCA mp3 players. The matter was settled on behalf of the individual Plaintiff and the lawsuit was dismissed on October 10, 2007.
If you have a hard disk drive player that is experiencing a file error corrupt or similar error and you meet certain requirements, you may be entitled to a replacement unit at no cost to you. You must contact Thomson at 1-800-587-5518no later than December 31, 2007.
Best Regards, Shelly Coffman Claims Investigator David P. Meyer & Associates Co., LPA 1320 Dublin Road, Suite 100 Columbus, Ohio 43215 Direct Dial: 614-384-7030 Toll Free: 1-866-827-6537 Fax: (614) 224-6066 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.dmlaws.com
I actually fixed this!!! Mine had been giving me the "file system
corrupted" error. So, I opened it up (unscrew the screw on the back,
pry the back cover off with a small flat head screwdriver or a key,
etc.) and saw that the connector between the CF drive and the
motherboard had come apart.
I re-inserted the cable into the groove of the connector on the
motherboard, pushed the broken/separated piece of plastic that serves
as a retainer for the cable back down, held it in place, and taped it
down with a 1/4 inch wide strip of duct tape (taped all the way around
the connector/cable to help keep it in). I put the Lyra back together
and then turned it on... and it WORKED! It came right on into the
normal menu! Yay!
Good luck other people, I hope that this is the same thing that happened to your player and that you can also fix it! =)