Question about RCA OPAL M4001 MP3 Player
I contacted support and what they told me works. Here is what they told me to do:
Response (Sierra Torres) 04/15/2008 10:12 AM Dear _______,
Have you downloaded the update for your MP3 player yet? Below is the link to download the updates if you have not done this yet
Follow the steps below if the Opal device displays PROFILING REQUIRES 4MB FREE SPACE when turned on then turns back off.
1. Ensure the latest Firmware Updater is installed on your PC
2. Connect the USB cable for the device to the PC if not already connected.
3. While holding the ON/PLAY/PAUSE key down, connect the USB cable to the device. Continue to hold down on the ON/PLAY/PAUSE key. You should hear the typical Windows sound for when the USB device is connected. There will be no indication in the system tray (Notification Area) of Windows that the device is connected and the device will remain dark.
4. Release the ON/PLAY/PAUSE key.
5. Start the Opal firmware updater. The status should begin with "Searching" then change to "Initializing" and finally to "Ready"/.The start button in the updater will then be enabled. Also a "Safe to Remove Hardware" icon will appear in the system tray.
6. Ensure the Format Data Area checkbox in the Updater is checked. Warning: All data on the device will be erased.
7. Click the Start button to begin the update. Click the YES button to confirm that all stored files will be erased.
IMPORTANT NOTE: DO NOT DISCONNECT THE DEVICE DURING THE UPDATE PROCESS.
The process may take a few minutes.
8. When the update is complete, you receive a message, click ok:
The firmware update has completed and the device has been reset. The internal database must be initialized to transfer protected content.
To do so, disconnect the player after it has completed booting.
9. Disconnect the USB cable from the device.
Your device should boot to the Home Menu after disconnecting. The Opal is now ready to transfer music, photos, or video.
***In order to reply to this message, you must click on the link http://voxrightnow.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/voxrightnow.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php and LOG IN to the web site. DO NOT simply click on <Reply>. If you just click on <Reply>, we will not receive your response. ***
Customer Service Customer (___________) 04/15/2008 12:09 AM I bought my MP3 player a little under 2 weeks ago and already it isnt working properly. I searched websites and it seems many people have the same problem. Media player does not recognize my RCA Opal, and there is an exclamation point under it on the device manager. I cannot load, format, or play anything on the player. When I turn it on it says "Profiling requires 4mb of free space" then shuts down on its own. Then the screen reads "USB Transferring" and thats all it does. Please tell me how to fix the problem or send me another since I am under product warranty. Please understand my frustration and as I checked websites, many others' frustration as well. Please contact me ASAP about this matter. Thank you in advance.
Posted on Apr 16, 2008
It probably means 4mb to show the screen so delete somthing off it and try
Posted on Jan 05, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 18, 2009 | RCA OPAL M4001 MP3 Player
Jun 30, 2009 | RCA M4002 Digital Media Player
Jun 05, 2009 | RCA OPAL M4001 MP3 Player
Nov 07, 2007 | RCA OPAL M4001 MP3 Player
136 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!