Interactive display only shows half the letter and number.
Is it worth it to try to fix this part of the unit? It is six years old. Only use the microwave portion. I know this Sharp was a problem as a combo unit. Also, can I replace the interactive display myself? Thanks!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Quite often this is a failed electrolytic capacitor on the control circuit board.
regularly repair these control units for customers nationwide by
mail for $39.95 postpaid with a one-year
our Web site, we have a video available showing how to remove a typical
over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.
Feel free to contact me directly (and please remind me of your
full model number) for more information & help. We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Not a complete answer, but may help describe problem: Our R-510B should be the same except for color, and for several years it has intermittently messed up its display. The left side two segments on the units digit won't light up. So a digit 8, without the two vertical bars on the left, comes out as a letter E reversed left to right. Any digit that uses the two left segments (traditionally labelled segments E and F when talking about 7-segment displays) comes out wrong. Every thing else works fine. I can't tell if this is your problem.
This is almost surely a bad contact at the interface between the LCD display panel and the PC board: Typically there is a "squishy" conductive strip that connects them, and I expect grease has gotten in there. If so careful disassembly and cleaning with a mild solvent should fix it. Since we can live with it, and it usually fixes itself in a few weeks, I have not got around to taking it apart.
well i never a 9 year old microwave,,, time it found its way up to the dump yard then, by now you must have had your money's worth out of it, is it realy worth paying out to try to get it fixed up??? dont be silly, buy a new one, and have a nice flashy one for half the price
Not sure I understand exactly what you are being confronted with when you say the arcing occurs on the right side .. I assume that is the side that houses the magnetron and waveguide assembly.. The fact that your microwave is 1.5 years old is irrelevant unless you have extended warranty coverage. If you place a cup of water in the cooking compartment and run the micro for about 1.5 minutes do you still experience arcing? If so.. you may have a loose connection on the magnetron, a bad magnetron , filament transformer may be breaking down or any number of non user serviceable components. Unless you are properly schooled on how to service a microwave oven, you should not try the repair yourself. There are high voltage components in there that pose a safety hazard even when power is disabled. If yoyrs is a table top model, the cost to repair may exceed the cost to replace so it may not be worth it.. Hope this helps...