Question about Amana ACO1860 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Fire in Microwave Using Sensor Control for Potato

Using the Sensor Control for Potato cooking a Sweet Potato (which we've done numerous times previously) - the cooking time went much longer than expected - all of a sudden we noticed that the fan had stopped. We stepped into the kitchen and there was smoke everywhere - the sweet potato was a crisp and had embers glowing. The house was quickly filled with smoke. The microwave is totally unresponsive - did not trip the circuit breaker. Question, can it be repaired, it worth repairing, or do we need to start shopping. What do you suggest?

Posted by on

  • Anonymous Mar 24, 2014

    put a potatoe in microwave starting blazing with fire



1 Answer

Please contact your home insurance to have the problem logged as a failure of the microwave. The insurance company will most likely help you with the smoke damage to the house and will contact the manufacturer to get their money back... there might be an issue with the manufacturing of these appliances.

Posted on Jun 27, 2008


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

While baking a sweet potato, the potato exploded and caught on fire. The microwave no longer works.a fire bro

I haven't heard of such a thing. You must have cooked it until there was no moisture left in the potato. That would also account for the failure of the oven. It would be the same as no load in the oven.
A thermal protect part is your current problem.

Apr 02, 2014 | GE SpaceMaker Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

GE microwave not heating, sensor error.

first suspect is the inverter board (power) and magnatron a distant second----in either case the part involved unless an expensive unit is pricey.

Aug 26, 2012 | GE SpaceMaker Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Put a potato in microwave it caught on fire dish broke no power to the microwave...did I kill it for good or is there a reset button on it...the microwave in build into my cabinets back of microwave is...

When cooking a potato in the microwave Without puncturing it with a fork... it definitively EXPLODS braking the CAROUSSEL PLATEAU and probably damaging some delicate electronics inside, (you have to pearce the potato with a fork to let steem out when cooking) if you are lucky it could be just a blown fuse inside, have it checked by a proffessional (there is normally no reset for a microwave oven exception maiby for the control panel)

Good luck!

Jan 14, 2011 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Microwave doesn't work

Sounds like you have a faulty control panel. I would use a meter and test the power from the control board to the magnetron and circuit board. Chances are the control panel is faulty

Jul 25, 2010 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Shuts down on potato button only

Not much info to go on here. Are you putting in the number of potatoes vs.the cook time? Most microwave potato functions would not read "5 minutes." It would be read as a request to cook 500 hundred potatoes.

Oct 15, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

2 Answers

BAked Potato caught on fire in GE Microwave

Fuse is behind the control panel. Has cavity sensors and a magnatron thermal disc also. Start with the fuse and then pull it down if not the problem. Eric

Aug 27, 2009 | GE Profile Spacemaker II PEM31 Microwave...

1 Answer

Potato caught fire during cooking. Microwave has

Hello, inside most microwaves, there is a thermal fuse, that if something in the cooking cavity is on fire, it will melt the thermal fuse, if it gets hot enough, thus breaking the power to the unit shutting it off. This sounds like what has happened to yours, simply replacing it will correct the problem. It is usually located near a cavity exhaust point. If you aren't comfortable doing this, as it requires removing the outer cover, while unplugged, and locating/replacing it, take it to a appliance service co. This will of course cost more, if you do it yourself, make sure you provide all of your make/model/serial/anything else, that will identify your unit, and call/go online to a parts retailer, and you should be able to get it done fairly cheap.

Hope this helps, and thank you.

Mar 01, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer


Manufacturers will note that they warn in their owner manuals to never leave a microwave running unattended, so they won't help you any further, I'm sure.

Mmost modern microwaves have a flame sensor inside that will shut the microwave down completely in case flames get too high.

Then the cooling fan and power will shut off, and the fire will almost certainly be smothered pretty quickly due to a lack of air inside the oven.

Also, the inside is metal, thus the only fuel for the fire would have been the potato, which would not have lasted long.

So as scary and disturbing as this event was, I would say the real danger of a fire outside of the oven was miniscule.

The fire probably occured due to a dry or irregular spot in the skin of the potato. Once it's dry, it will of course burn much easier.

So now to the smell...

You should do a Google search on "odor microwave" or "microwave smell" where you can find tips on boiling water & baking soda, then vinegar and water in the microwave to neutralize the smell.

If your microwave does not work, then it may have blown the flame sensor (thermal fuse) and that would have to be replaced.

Please let us know if we can help further.

Nov 15, 2007 | Kenmore 62702 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Amana ACO1860 Microwave Oven Logo

602 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Amana Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9098 Answers


Level 3 Expert

102366 Answers

Shehu Pro
Shehu Pro

Level 3 Expert

1284 Answers

Are you an Amana Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides