Question about Panasonic KX-TG6500 Cordless Phone
These units have a problem with the base unit going bad, often caused by a power surge. The symptoms are, in addition to the above, none of the buttons on the base unit work. I found a partial work around that gets all the lights off and the system working, but the buttons on the base unit still don't work. Not really a problem as the answering system still works and you can retrieve your messages from any remote by pressing Menu and then the LCD button "Select" You have to be a tear-it-apart-type to try this but here is what to do
1. With a small Phillips screwdriver, remove the base from the cover by taking out the 5 Phillips screws.
2. Next unplug all lines to get the cover and base separated.
3. Locate the flat ribbon cable connecting to a connector on the edge and disconnect it by pulling out (away from the connector) the two locking tabs.
4. Plug in the power and reinsert and relock the ribbon cable
5. Check the lights. If most of the lights are off unit is ok and you can disconnect the power, reassemble, and reconnect all wires.
6. If reconnecting the power causes all lights to go on again, you have the same problem I had, for which the solution is tougher and only temporary
7. Repeat all of the above steps but do not disconnect the power when separating the cover from the base. This will make it impossible to completely remove the cover from the base, but you can tilt the cover up enough to be able to access the ribbon cable to disconnect and reconnect it.
8. Lights will now stay on as long as you never disconnect the power or have a power failure, in which case you have to repeat the above. I wound up hooking up mine to the same outlet strip I had connected to my uninterruptible power supply (UPS).
Posted on Nov 12, 2009
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 30, 2014 | Panasonic KX-T7730 Corded Phone
Sep 28, 2011 | Panasonic KX-T7630 Corded Phone
Aug 13, 2010 | Panasonic KX-T7730 Corded Phone
Jan 23, 2010 | Panasonic Lands Phones
Mar 28, 2009 | Panasonic KX-TG6700 Phone
Mar 12, 2009 | Panasonic KX-TA824PK Phone
Nov 06, 2017 | Panasonic KX-TG5652 Twin Cordless Phone
Nov 24, 2007 | RCA 25202RE3 Corded Phone
198 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!