Re: TomTom Home not detecting my internet connection
I had the same problem, trying to update my newly-purchased TomTom GO 530. Turned out that it didn't like the way my Router was configured (I had it set so the my PC was in the DMZ, to facilitate game playing) - as soon as I took the PC *out* of the DMZ, TomTom Home decided to play ball, went straight in with the updates and downloaded fine.
Yes, I know that removing the PC from the DMZ is counter-intuitive, but that's what worked for me.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
you have to plug your satnav into the USB port with the cable supplied with it into your pc, this will then connect your satnav to your PC and then you can log in to MyDriveConnect, but you must have MyDriveConnect installed on your PC to be able to do anything
Install the Tomtom HOME software available HERE. You'll need it anyway to keep your device updated.
In the top right corner of the application GUI you'll see a link that allows you to log in into your Tomtom account or create one if you do not have any yet.
If you connect any Tomtom device using the supplied USB connector cable
or cradle, the device will prompt you if you'd like to connect to the
PC. Tap "Yes" and the Tomtom HOME software starts. If a new device is
detected, the registration process is started automatically that binds a Tomtom account to a device.
The official Tomtom advice is to have separate accounts for each Tomtom GPS you own.
Maybe the cable is broken? You should try another cable.
If thant won't work, maybe your router block the traffic between the router and the pc. But it is a bit difficult to explain that. When you tried anoter cable and it still doesnt you, you can send me an email with the details of the router (brand, type etc.)
you can contact on roadrunner technical support phone number for getting help. they solve your issues and provide instruction for setting up internet connection in OS 8 Roadrunner Technical Support Number
Lorna R from the UK support team solved my problem - but it did require some persistence. If a folder FOUND.000 exists on your device then firstly delete it. I turned off my virus checker and all other programs. Then:
STEP 1 Check your Internet Connection
- Make sure that you have a fast broadband Internet connection, ideally 2mb/s or higher - Check that you are not at the end of a British Telecom exchange. If you are, then you will find that you are not receiving your advertised Internet connection speed and the connection will be unstable. This can mean that any large downloads via TomTom Home may time out and not download fully. - Make sure that you are connected to the Internet via a Network cable and not wirelessly. You can plug a network cable into the back of your Router and connect it to the network card on the back of your computer. Also, if you connect wirelessly, you have an extra layer of security which can interfere with downloads. - Please ensure that your firewalls are configured to allow TomTom Home to connect to the Internet fully.
- Connect your TomTom to your computer and switch it on - On a PC, create a new folder on your desktop and call it 'Backup' - On a Mac, create a folder on the desktop and call it 'Backup'. - On a PC, Open 'My Computer', you will see the TomTom as a removable storage device, e.g. TomTom (E:), double left click into it. - Click on Edit -> Select All, then click on 'Edit -> Copy' - Go to your Backup folder on your desktop that you have created, double left click into it and click on 'Edit -> Paste'
- On a Mac, you will see the TomTom device on the Desktop, double click into it. - Select and copy all of the contents of the TomTom device. - Go to your backup Folder that you have created and double click into it. - Paste all the files into the backup folder.
Only proceed with Step 4 and 5 when you have successfully completed a manual backup of your device.
STEP 4 Remove the Map Folder from your device
- Connect the TomTom to the Computer - Browse the contents of the TomTom via 'My Computer', (on a mac, click on the desktop icon for the TomTom disk) - You will see the Files and folders for the TomTom. - Delete the map folder e.g. Western Europe, or Western and Central Europe, or United Kingdom and Ireland
STEP 5 Download your Latest map Guarantee
- Open TomTom Home - Log in to your TomTom account - Click on Tools -> Use Latest map Guarantee - If you see a map available for download, click on 'Get it Now'.
The map can take a few hours to download depending on the map size and your Internet connection.
If you find that your map is taking more than 5 hours to download or the Download does not install correctly, then unfortunately your Internet connection is preventing the map from downloading correctly. Ideally, you will need a faster and more stable Internet connection.
I have the same problem in NL.. TT Home has problems downloading over Wireless connections.
Try connecting the computer to the internet via a cable. You may have to restart TTHome or maybe even your PC. The download should be quicker and more reliable :)
The problem is related to the MTU size and working around that can be very technical.
I phoned tomtom help line, they sent me a download by email which i ran on the tomtom which wipes the flash memory clean. Then did a download of latest tomtom operating system form tomtom Home software. When i tried to setup wireless data connection i couldnt believe how quick and easy it done it and now works amazing fast to find traffic updates in secs !!
They told me that if you have used the tomtom with a few phones and changed a lot of settings the flash memory gets full and thats what made it stuggle to connect and was slow.
Im so pleased it was driving me mad !!
Hope you resolve urs the same. The number is 08451610009