I had the same problems you described and kind of stumbled my way through a solution. Hope this helps:
First you need either the driver cd or down load the drivers from the curtis website. Btw, there is also a pdf'd version of the procedures.doc that they are referring to (I too could not find after downloading the zip file wth the firmware update).
1. Hold down the on button on your MP3 player, and plug the player into your PC (via USB cable). Keep holding the on button until the found new hardware wizard comes up. (you can let go after that)
2. Check "Install from a list of specific location", click next.
3. Check "Include this location in search" and point to location of your driver files (either CD or folder that you saved them in). You only need to navigate to the "Driver" folder, and it should do the rest. Complete the rest of the New Hardware Wizard.
Here is where the document differs from my experience.
4. You will be prompted to restart your PC.
At this point it was all trial and error and I had to perform the first step again to get the MP3 player to re-connect to my pc.
5. Unplug player, hold start button down, plug back into PC.
6. Locate the firmware upgrade folder that you downloaded from the Curtis website. In this zip file, there is an app folder, open. In the app folder ther is an .exe file named "stupdaterapp.exe, double click on this .exe file.
7. The updater should pop up (Sigma Tel MSCN Firmware Download dialog box).
8. Check the "Format Data Area" box and click yes to the warning message that pops up.
It should start checking your mp3 player's firmware to compare to the updated version. If at any time the box under the format data area box says "Please connect device", unplug mp3 player and try plugging in again while holding the power button.
If the start button at the bottom of the box is NOT greyed out, then you are in good shape.
9. Click start and ensure that the MP3 player is not unplugged during this process.
This worked for me. Hope it does for you too.
Nov 12, 2007 |
Curtis SMP228 MP3 Player