I cleaned my range top today and when i plugged it back in my electrodes keep firing what happened and how do i stop this? I have a hotpoint rgb532 gas kitchen range and its got sealed burners. another question. Can i open the range top up cuz i cant figure out how? Thank you for any help possible Bryan
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: my range electrodes keep firing
If you cleaned it with soap and water or a household cleaning solution, some of it has probably gotten down to one of the switches that control the surface ignitors. Very common problem. Leave it unplugged when you are not using it and they will dry out and return to normal. You can pull the knobs off and try using a hair dryer, it may help a little, but it basicly is just a matter of time.
There are different variations of this model. If you will post the complete model number I can probably tell you how to remove the top, but there usually is little reason to take it off unless something needs repairing.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Nov 12, 2010 - Uploaded by RepairClinic.com
+Tony Eatinsky If the electrode is not damaged than the spark module ... I have a kenmore gas stove ( 362.7555190) that won't ignite unless I use a match. ... I have a Kenmore Elite 5 burnergas range top, it auto light continually sparks? .... You most likely will need to cut or grind off the screws and get new ...
kenmore model 790 gas range. the gas stove top burners stopped sparking. ... NOTE: I do not recommend measuring voltage unless you have experience and feel ... if the spark module is getting 120 volts when the burner knob is turned to the ...
For broil burner ignition an oven broiler burner spark electrode is used to ignite the gas. The electrode is a device that sits right next to the broil burner. It functions like a spark plug. As power is applied to it a spark jumps from the spark electrode tip to the to the electrode shield, igniting the gas. If the electrode is broken or worn out the spark may not occur or be intermittent. Visually inspect the electrode assembly for cracks in the porcelain housing or damage to the electrode tip itself. Be aware that a proper ground and the correct polarity of the incoming voltage to the range is necessary for the electrode control to sense the presence of a flame once the burner is ignited.
there is also a spark control module but I don't think that's it usually no spark when bad.
if you need or want parts ck here for your unit.
hope this helps a little
Their are 2 possible reasons the igniters would continue to click after the burner is lit.
1) the burner is slightly dirty and the part of it very near the electrode is not burning correctly so the igniter doesn't think the burner is lit so it will not tell the spark to turn off. It could be cleaned by using steel wool and cleaning the burner holes near where the electrode is and then use a paper clip and poke through the holes on the burner to clear them so they burn correctly.
2) the electrode (the spark plug at the burner) is cracked so even though the burner is lit so the electrode can not sense that the burner is lit and wont tell the spark to turn off,so if having cleaned burner it still clicks after burner is lit the electrodes would need to be replaced.
The electrode (spark plug) for that burner is not telling the spark module the burner is lit and go ahead and turn off the spark. That electrode and the wiring on it need to be replaced,from that burner back to the spark module.
I hope this helps you to repair the problem with you stove, Gene
A great expedient spark tester can be made from an old spark plug that you know is GOOD.....clip or grind the grounding terminal ( the terminal which goes over the top of the electrode) back until you have a gap of 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch between the terminal and the electrode...Remove both plugs from the machine and attach your new test plug to the plug wire. Ground the plug by placing it on the head or the shroud. Turn the machine over. If you are getting fire you should see a strong blue spark shoot from the electrode to the terminal. If you have no fire then you probably have a bad ignition coil, bad plug wire, or maybe just a bad seat, brake, or PTO safety switch...I'd check these first. Also check your ignition switch in the run position with a test light to be sure it is good....hope this helps... ;-D
A weak erratic spark from one or more electrode usually indicates a bad spark module. No spark from one of the electrodes while the others work properly usually indicates a bad electrode. Inspect the porcelain of the electrode for cracks, chips or burn marks. If there are any, the electrode should be replaced. If one of the burner knobs is turned to the light position and nothing happens, but all the others function correctly, the spark ignition switch for that one burner is likely bad. The switch can be taken out of the system and checked with an ohmmeter. It should close for continuity at the light position only.
As far a "popping" do you mean the igniter on the cook top "clicking"? Did you clean the range and use too much water? If water gets into the igniter switches they will short out and constantly click. Also if the polarity at the electrical plug you can get what is called "ghost spark" so make sure that the polarity is correct at the electrical outlet. Each gas control valve has a switch that turns on the igniter when the knob is in a certain position and they are all wired in a sequence. One of those switches may be shorted out or have a loose wire(range dis-assembly required to inspect). Do you visually see a spark at the electrodes of the burners or do the burners ignite? If you cannot see the spark then there may be a grounding issue and possible loose wire.
If you only have one burner that clicks when in use then what you have to do is clean the sensor ( the proper name is electrode ) at the top where the little medal disk is with something abrasive. Over time the electrode gets a film on it and prevents it from sending a signal back to the spark module to tell it a flame is present. If it continues to click then replace the electrode. Hope this helps
You got one or more of the burner switches wet. (It usually happens when you wash the knobs and water stays in the holes until you replace it on the shaft) If just water they may work after a day or two. try using a hair dryer, Keep it at least 12 inches away. If oven cleaner or other chemical got inside switches they may need to be replaced. If you can't dry them out. Disconnect the wires from all but one switch at a time and see which one/s need to be replaced. Sometimes the electric part of the switch can be seperated from the gas part and replaced seperately. DO NOT LEAVE THE STOVE PLUGGED IN until you fix this problem. There have been reports of fires started from this electrical problem. You could also burn out the spark ignightor. The fire problems have been mostly with Maytag/Jenn air products but my whirlpool blew a fuse and shot sparks when this happened to me. I just replacet the whole cooktop as my gas valves were one piece units and way to expensive to repair.