Question about HP Computers & Internet
Internet Explorer - Try removing the tick next to InternetExplorer 'Proxy server' settings, instead, go with the 'Automatically detectsettings'.
1) Launch Internet Explorer, click Tools and then clickInternet Options.
From the Internet Options dialog box, go to the Connectionstab.
Click LAN Setting. Un check the Use a proxy server for yourLAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections)checkbox. Finally positively tick: 'Automatically detect settings'.
2) Register softpub.dll.
Click Start (Button), and then click Run, type regsvr32softpub.dll. Restart MSN Messenger. Seealso Error code 81000314
3) If necessary, logon as a local administrator and set thecomputer's clock to the correct date and time. (Check on the internet if possible.)
4) Turn off the firewall temporarily. Check firewallsettings such as Norton: "Block access to secure sites". If this cures the problem, make sure thatMicrosoft's MSN Messenger is allowed full access through your firewall.
NetGear problem, but also with some other routers
a) Enter IP address 192.168.0.1 in your browser's addressbar.
b) Log on with ISP user name and password.
c) Enter Admin, password
d) Navigate to advanced menu, WAN set-up
e) Change MTU size to 1400
5) Try a password of no more than 8 characters.
6) If you are using IE 7.0 check the SSL Settings. Internetoptions advanced (Tab) scroll down to the bottom. Security section. Tick 'Use ssl 2.0'.
7) One of the simplest ways of curing MSN error 80048820 isto unplug, or restart your modem. Thisis particularly effective for cable modems.
8) We should have tried this solution before; check that theMSN site is 'up' 'available'. However,even if the site is down, you don't usually get error code 80048820.
8a) As a variation, of checking online, you could tryphoning your local Microsoft Support office. Local area numbers available from http://support.microsoft.com.
9) Have you just installed any anti-virus software? Did the anti-virus software just make a bigupdate? Try disabling and see if thatcures the error.
10) A drastic solution is to try uninstalling MSN Messengerversion 8.0 or 7.5 and install Microsoft MSN version 7.0.
Guy Recommends: SolarWinds Exchange Monitor
Here is a free toolto monitor your Exchange Server. Downloadthe utility, then inspect your mail queues, monitor Exchange server's memory,confirm there is enough disk space and check the CPU utilization. This is thereal deal - there is no catch.
Free Download of SolarWinds Exchange Monitor
General, but classic Troubleshooting Techniques
Collect information: Write down exactly what the problemis. Something magical happens just bythe act of writing down the symptoms.
Ask: What was the last thing that altered on yourcomputer. Especially with changes toanti-virus software Reverse it!
Can you reproduce the problem: Occasionally trying againseems to make it work. Else you may geta different error from 80048820.
Locate the source: Hardware (modem) Software, your end orMSN site.
Phone a friend! Seriously do your MSN buddies have the same problem, if so it's thesite, if not - back to the drawing board.
Posted on Oct 08, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 15, 2011 | Yahoo Messenger
Apr 16, 2011 | Microsoft Windows Live Messanger
Nov 23, 2010 | Microsoft Windows Live Messenger
Apr 02, 2010 | Microsoft MSN Messenger Connect Service
Jan 30, 2010 | Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop
Oct 04, 2009 | Computers & Internet
May 29, 2009 | Microsoft Windows Live Messanger
Aug 30, 2008 | Computers & Internet
Aug 12, 2008 | Computers & Internet
Mar 24, 2016 | HP Computers & Internet
139 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!