Question about Western Digital MY BOOK HOME 1TB EXT HD-USB2/FW/E-SATA 3.5IN 1YR FireWire 400 Hard Drive
Let's try to recover the data because the cost for disaster recovery is unreasonably high, approaching a thousand dollars.
Do not take the drive to any national computer supply stores/chains. The geeks will format the drive, if they get a chance to do so (and tell you to restore from backup).
These steps will not further risk losing your data.
You may also need to request "FixYa Premium Support".
Please keep in touch via comments or a new post and refer to "Gort007" if you need to contact me.
Read Options A and B completely before deciding which to do.
A. This requires opening up the unit.
1. Unplug all cables from the drive.
2. Open the WD World book
3. Re-seat the data and power connectors.
4. Check the connections again. Re-seat the data and power conenctions, again.
5. Carefully re-assemble.
6. It should work, if not do the steps in "B."
B. This does not require opening up the unit:
1. Purchase Avanquest Partition Commander ($50). Other experts may suggest a different or free utility. I trust Partition Commander.
2. Purchase a 500GB (or enough to copy your data) hard drive or another WD My Book, or any other external USB (or eSATA if your computer supports it).
3. Connect the NEW disk and delete all of the partitions. This is the NEW disk or external drive.
Do not create any partitions on it. The "Partition Commander" will do it.
4. Connect the damaged WD Mybook to the computer and boot the computer with the Commander CD.
5. A list of the disks will appear after selecting the default menu selections.
6. If the Mybook does not appear, then this option will not work until the steps in the "A." section above.
7. Copy the Mybook partition to the new hard drive.
8. If unable to do so, then try to browse the Mybook and copy folders to the new hard drive.
9. At this point yu may have to create a new partition on the NEW drive in order to copy your data to it.
10. If this does not work for you, please either do the seteps in "A." above, or explore Partition Commander more.
11. Partition Commander will triple check with you to be sure you do not do any steps that you didn't mean to.
12. Do not format your damaged drive, even after you recover the data. It is your ultimate backup.
Posted on Oct 08, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 29, 2014 | Computers & Internet
Jan 05, 2014 | Toshiba Computers & Internet
Feb 23, 2011 | Iomega 34579 1 TB USB 20 Hard Drive
Jan 19, 2010 | Sony Mavica MVC-CD500 Digital Camera
Sep 22, 2009 | Apple iPhone 3G
Aug 25, 2009 | 2006 Dodge Stratus
May 31, 2009 | Coleman Mach III Air Conditioner
Jan 05, 2008 | Maxtor OneTouch II 300 GB Hard Drive
Dec 06, 2007 | Seagate USB 2.0 External Enclosure + 400GB...
280 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: