Question about Whirlpool Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Yesterday, I went to use the microwave and as I pushed start, I heard a loud pop and saw sparks behind the vent cover. The microwave light and turn table work fine, but it does not heat. Is it repairable?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    MVP:

    An expert that gotĀ 5 achievements.

    Novelist:

    An expert who has written 50 answers of more than 400 characters.

    Governor:

    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 20 times.

  • Expert
  • 121 Answers

Sounds like your magnetron went out . check how old it is, sometimes the manufacture gives a 5-10 yr warrenty on part if no warranty on unit then it may not be worth fixing depending on how much u spent on it. part roughly 89.99-139.99 labor 85-165.00 depending on who u use and were u live. hope this helps . thanx..

Posted on Oct 07, 2009

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

I went to turn light on and heard a loud pop and saw spark. No lights on unit work. Defrost option does not work. Turntable does not work.


Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with yourMicrowave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips

heatman101

Sep 16, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Yesterday, my sharp carousel r-1460 went dead. I took apart the front keypad and replaced the 20amp fuse behind it. the microwave light and fan work.But, when I start microwave to cook something, pop! fuse...


If the 20A fuse is blowing, it is often the high voltage transformer or magnetron. If this is the case, and the microwave is not under warranty, replace it. Residential microwaves are generally considered disposable. Parts and labor are just too expensive. A magntron or transformer can cost more that half the cost of a new microwave.

Feb 24, 2010 | Emerson MW8102SS 1100 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

The second under cabinet light went out with a pop, and the vent fan went out with it. Is there a fuse for both somewhere? The turntable motor and light and fan still work. Will th vent fan come back on if...


There is a varistor or thermostat switch mounted on the wall behind the control panel. I unpluged the leads and shorted them together. the fan and lights started working again. I got another microwave off freecycle.org for parts. I noticed a lot of sites tend to point to the control panel for a $36 to $100 board repair. Don't fall for it. H.G.

Jan 03, 2010 | GE JVM1660 Microwave Oven

2 Answers

I heard a pop and then i saw sparks inside the oven, the sparks were coming from what looks and feels like a paper cover inside the microwave


This sounds like the inner lining is coming off and alloying the metal interior to spark. You will need to repair the liner and this should fix your problem.

Dec 08, 2009 | DCS MO-24-SS Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Saw sparks and heard a pop noise when we hit ''start'' on microwave


We just had the same problem - spark, loud noise, and then dead. At first I replaced the ceramic fuse and the same thing happened immediately. A local appliance store tested the transformer and found it was "bad." I purchased a used transformer from the store for about $35. I installed both of these myself with little effort.

Sep 08, 2009 | Dacor DMO24SS Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Loud pop with smoke


Don't know why just plugging it into a new outlet would cause that unless you have a problem with that outlet. Sounds like it may have burned out the low voltage circuitry. I would advise having the outlet checked and certified safe before plugging anything else into it. Also, it sounds like the oven is toast, (Sorry!)
You can get parts on-line from AppliancePartsPros.com/Parts

May 23, 2008 | Emerson MW8107WA Microwave Oven

1 Answer

G.E. Spacemaker XL1800- Loud constant buzzing noise. Help


My microwave was totally dead. Things I discovered: 1) There is an easily replacable fuse accessed by taking off the top front vent cover (two screws on top, gently massage off) and then the inside plastic grill. UNPLUG before doing this! 2) Pop off two wires on either end of fuse holder for safety. Then pop out fuse and replace. For more extensive help, there is an evelope with a wiring diagram inside the case on the inside wall! Very helpful when diagnosing the surface lamp problem (I forgot to plug the ballast back in when I closed up the bottom).

Mar 31, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

5 Answers

Popping and shooting sparks


Hi There!
Check behind the "Wave Guide Cover" on the inside cavity. There may be moisture or food residue behind it. Should be a cover that is plastic or Mica. Really strange that it's sparking being new. Also check that you use plates without gold or silver trimmings (Crockery or porcelein). This will also cause sparking. Remember that microwaves will always go to the first organic source in its path. The wave guide cover, if soiled, is very close to the tip of the Magnetron and will therefor result in arcing. Good Luck, JUS004

Feb 26, 2008 | Frigidaire PLMV169DC Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE SpaceMaker JVM XL1800


Sounds like the ERC board failed. It maybe covered under warranty, check that first cause a new ERC could cost around $150-$200. Anything electric can cause the .."what the*^&% just happened syndrome.

Dec 09, 2007 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave


If it sounds like it's coming from the cooking cavity it may be grease or food particles on or behind the waveguide cover.

If you turn the room lights out and try it, you may see some sparks to help you locate the trouble.

It could also be a problem in the high voltage section, such as a bad diode or loose conneciton.

Not pleasant to think about, but more than once we've found a dead "intruder" inside the high voltage section.

Please write back with more details if you need further help.

We appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Nov 08, 2007 | Hotpoint RVM1635 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

146 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Whirlpool Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9047 Answers

Jaime Hernandez

Level 3 Expert

2315 Answers

Gerry Harvey
Gerry Harvey

Level 3 Expert

1456 Answers

Are you a Whirlpool Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...