Question about GE JVM1640 Microwave Oven
Replaced Main Control Board and now the magnetron is overheating and shutting down the unit. Didn't have this problem has before.
Did you chceck the Triac
see if shorted
Posted on Dec 23, 2007
If you are familiar with Micro oven servicing follow these steps
.Repairing a microwave oven is a dangerous task. The high-voltage potential combined with the high-current capability of an operating microwave oven pose a deadly threat to a careless worker
1.Shorted Magnetron tube.
2.Replace Magnetron tube
3.Check Built-in surge protection on printed circuit board has opened. This circuit consists of a fine foil pattern (or filter coil - depending on the model) that acts to fuse the primary side of the low-voltage transformer.
4. Rebuild the surge protection circuit. Replace the varistor
5. Magnetron filament connectors have loosened and, due to resistive heat, the terminal connections have deteriorated and burned off.
6. Repair defective terminals as follows:Either (1) Cut away burned wire, clean the magnetron terminals, and replace the slip-on connectors, or (2) Cut away burned wire and connector(s). Clean terminals to prepare for soldering. Solder filament leads directly to magnetron terminals. Be careful not to apply soldering heat any longer than necessary
7. Check for Weakened fuse clips in the fuse receptacle causing fuse to melt due to resistive heat. Usually indicated by a bead of solder leaching out from either endcap and/or evidence of overheating (or burned spot) at the endcap, fuse clip, or terminal connection
8. Replace amp fuse and receptacle. Generic fuses and fuse holders are available at appliance and electronic part suppliers.
9. Contact service center .. all the best ..thank you
Posted on Dec 23, 2007
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 07, 2012 | Maytag MMV5100A Microwave Oven
Apr 26, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Feb 05, 2010 | GE JVM1650 1000 Watts Microwave Oven
Oct 11, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Aug 18, 2009 | Microwave Ovens
Aug 28, 2008 | Microwave Ovens
Jan 27, 2008 | GE JVM1650 1000 Watts Microwave Oven
Dec 23, 2007 | GE JVM1640 Microwave Oven
Jun 11, 2006 | GE JVM1651 Microwave Oven
82 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!