Question about Kenmore Washing Machines
First, UNPLUG THE MACHINE.
To open the top, take a fairly stiff putty knife and insert it into the crack between the top & front panels. Insert it about 2" from the sides. You will feel a distince piece in there. You want to push this piece in. It is a locking clip. As you push in on it, lift up on the top. Once you have one side popped loose, stick something like a screwdriver in the opening so it doesn't lock back down. Repeat the spring operation on the other side of the lid.
Posted on Oct 10, 2009
First of all, unplug your washer. You will need to remove the console in order to get to the lid switch. I believe your washer has release tabs under the console at each front corner. Simply slide a putty knife straight in from the front at each corner and push in while lifting up. You should feel the release tabs push in and the console will pop up. Or, you may have a console that has removable end caps. They can be removed by gently prying up on the top of them from the rear on each side. You may have to use a small screwdriver for this. The caps should pop right off. Once removed, you will need to loosen a screw under each cap. Once you have the console loosned, carefully lift it up and lay it back over the rear panel of the washer in its resting position. Be careful not to damage the small plastic hinges that hold it in place. Now you will need to perform the following steps:
1. Under the console you will find the lid switch connector. Unplug the switch from the connector.
2. There will be two brass colored clips. You will need to remove these to remove the machine casing. Place a flat blade screwdriver straight down into the opening on top of the washer and into the groove of the clip. Push the screwdriver away from you while holding into the groove and the clip will release.
3. Open the lid of the washer and place your hand under the front rim of the opening (DO NOT grab the wash tub). Now pull the case from the frame by lifting from the back first.
You do not have to remove it all the way from the frame. Just enough to gain access to the switch. All there is to the switch is a couple of screws holding it in and a ground wire. It's a pretty easy repair job.
Once you've completed your switch installation, make sure you get the case back on the frame correctly by following these steps:
1. While looking down through the lid opening, place the front lip of the machine case UNDER the washer frame and start leaning it back onto the frame. There are four small cleats that must fit into four slots on the case or the washer will vibrate. Make sure the frame is seated properly, lean forward from the front of the washer, grasp both sides of the rear panel and pull towards the case. The rear panel should be seated and flush with the casing before inserting the retaining clips.
2. Insert the brass-colored clips into the slot on the washer rear panel first, then push straight down into the opening on the top of the washer with some force. If you have the case seated correctly, the clips will snap back in.
3. Make sure you plug the connector from the console back into the lid switch receptacle and close the console.
I hope you find this helpful. If you have any questions please let me know by posting comments.
Posted on Oct 06, 2009
a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 07, 2010 | Kenmore 24032\24036 Top Load Washer
Mar 17, 2010 | Kenmore 22422 Top Load Washer
Aug 21, 2009 | Kenmore Washing Machines
Aug 10, 2009 | Kenmore 22422 Top Load Washer
Jul 08, 2009 | Washing Machines
Jul 07, 2009 | Kenmore 22422 Top Load Washer
Jun 11, 2009 | Kenmore 24902 Top Load Washer
Apr 22, 2009 | Washing Machines
Nov 11, 2008 | Kenmore 15864/15862 Top Load Washer
Sep 29, 2008 | Kenmore 22422 Top Load Washer
21 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: