Question about Microsoft Xbox 360 Console
Trying to set up x box 360 with windows vista. Need extender, but asks for 8 digit set up key. Can not locate this.
If you have an Xbox 360 connected to a home network that also has a Windows Media Center, you can add your Xbox 360 as a Media Center Extender device so that you can enjoy the digital media on your Windows Media Center computer by using Xbox 360. For more information, see Xbox 360 online.
1. Turn on your Windows Media Center computer and log on to Windows. Verify that your computer is connected to your home network.
2. Turn on your Xbox 360 and verify that it is connected to your home network.
3. In Windows Media Center, on the start screen, scroll to Tasks, and then click add extender.
4. On the Welcome to Windows Media Center Extender Setup screen in Windows Media Center, click Next.
5. Press the Green Start button on your Xbox 360 remote control or use your Xbox 360 controller to select the media blade.
6. On your Xbox 360, select Media Center.
7. On your Xbox 360, follow the instructions on the screen to obtain an 8-digit Windows Media Center Setup Key. Write down this 8-digit setup key. This is the key that you will use to affiliate your Xbox 360 with your computer that has Windows Media Center.
You do not need to download any additional software because the Extender functionality is built into Windows Media Center.
8. On the Enter the Setup Key screen in Windows Media Center, use the Windows Media Center remote control or keyboard to enter the 8-digit setup key that displays on Xbox 360, and then click Next.
9. Follow the steps in Extender Setup.
Several changes are automatically made to your Windows Media Center computer during the Extender Setup, including changes to the Windows Firewall settings. For more information about Windows Firewall, see Windows Firewall: recommended links. During this time, the Windows Media Center Extender service (which is named mcx2svc) starts on your computer, along with other dependent services.
If you have a firewall running on your computer that is not the Windows Firewall, make sure that the firewall software is set up to allow Xbox 360 to connect to your Windows Media Center computer as a Windows Media Center Extender. Some firewalls are already set up to allow Xbox 360 to connect to a Windows Media Center computer as a Media Center Extender. However, other firewalls will require you to make changes to how the firewall software is set up. For more information about which firewalls are already set up to allow a Media Center Extender connection, as well as information about how to set up other firewalls to work with a Windows Media Center Extender such as Xbox 360, go to the Firewalls and Media Center Extender article on the Microsoft website.
10. After Extender Setup has finished, in Windows Media Center, click Finish.
On the TV that is connected to Xbox 360, the Windows Media Center user interface appears. You can then enjoy live TV, recorded TV, pictures, music, videos, and other digital media on your Xbox 360 as you would in Windows Media Center. A new user account named mcx1 (by default) is automatically created to use the Extender.
Please see http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/8076aff3-16ec-4751-9f57-d36e0ff407201033.mspx#EPD for more info.
Thanks and hope that helps!
Posted on Dec 23, 2007
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 09, 2014 | Microsoft Windows Vista Business Edition...
on Dec 17, 2009 | Computers & Internet
Jan 15, 2013 | Microsoft Xbox 360 Console
Dec 04, 2010 | Microsoft Xbox 360 Console
Aug 13, 2010 | Microsoft Media Center Extender For Xbox
May 13, 2010 | Video Game Consoles & Games
Feb 16, 2010 | Microsoft Xbox 360 Console
Aug 16, 2009 | Microsoft Video Game Consoles & Games
May 19, 2009 | Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium with...
Apr 21, 2015 | Microsoft Xbox 360 Console
426 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!