Question about Western Digital My Book Premium ES Edition WDG1SU5000 500 GB USB 2.0 Hard Drive
Got a delayed write failure 2 days ago from my Mybook 500GB. Didn't think much of it. Stupid me. The next day I went to bed after starting a render to wmv from an AVCHD (MTS) file in Vegas 9. Usually takes a few hours. Next mornning my PC would not recognize the drive. Vegas 9 frozen at 17% complete. Bought a new USB cable. Too simple for that to work. Went to the local PC repair joint. They will take it apart in order to either a] replace the case and controller board (all in one) which is an off the shelf replacement enclosure; or b] send it out for data recovery. If it's b then the bill is about 1,000 bucks because you also have to cover the cost of the new external drive to which the data will be transferred. These are family movies that I cannot give up. Only half are backup up to DVD. Anyone with similar issue welcome to comment.
One or more of the hints below will probably sort out most USB problems with most USB portable / external hard drives and OTHER devices (though not always)
A few things to check but assumes USB and Windows for other interfaces / operating systems (mac/ Linux) similar steps may be adapted to suit.
1. Ensure it is connected directly to the computer to a USB 2.0 port not a USB 1.0 port as this can have effects on performance and reliability
2. Use only the cables that came with it NOT one that fits that may have been lying around or is longer. Not all USB cables are equal even though they should be)
3. Do not connect through an external USB HUB unless that hub is USB 2.0 AND has its own power supply.
4. Use ONLY the power supply that came with it if it has an external power supply Don’t use any other unless you know it has both the same voltage and current rating e.g. 12V 500mA anything rated below that would not work properly.
5. Always use the same port for connecting your devices. Some devices do not like being switched about. If switched they may want to install software / drivers again. This can be especially true if you move a HUB to another port
6. For FLASH DRIVES you should ensure that the device is set for "quick removal" using the drive control panel properties or use the USB "Safely Remove Hardware" option. If you dont do this there is a very strong chance that any files you transfer may not be there when you plug into another computer.
If you checked and fixed anything there and still have issues then check your hardware from CONTROL PANEL / SYSTEM / HARDWARE.
Any exclamation marks by hardware need fixing before you investigate any further
USB flash drives can fail for no apparent reason.
Sandisk Cruzers are especially bad for this.
USB hard drives should be treated with extreme care.
This is a real hard drive ! and knocks and bumps can quite literally kill them.
It is possible to remove drives from the enclosures in most cases and connect directly inside a PC to fully check it.
You should also do this to cheack the drives connections are not bad inside the enclosure
Note that if you hear a drive clicking or pinging this could be the worst thing you would hear.
Known as "The Click Of Death"
If none of the above steps help look at updating the drivers from the manufacturers web site in the support section.
Posted on Oct 05, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get 2 Free calls (no credit card required) and instant help on almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, appliances, handyman, and even pets).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 21, 2011 | Seagate FreeAgent Pro - 500GB, 7200 RPM,...
Apr 18, 2010 | Western Digital My Book Essential Edition...
Aug 23, 2009 | Western Digital 500GB My Book Pro-External...
May 29, 2009 | Western Digital 500GB My Book World...
Jun 29, 2008 | Computers & Internet
Mar 26, 2008 | Western Digital My Book Essential Edition...
Feb 08, 2008 | Western Digital 500GB My Book World...
316 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: