Question about NetGear WGR614 Wireless Router
Unable to connect my xbox360 to my netgear wireless router
The generic connection and configuration document
This is a good description of possible router options.
If you need assistance setting this up in your environment leave a comment on this problem and I will respond.
Posted on Dec 22, 2007
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
To start with plug the LAN cable, type 192.168.0.1
into your browser, a netgear window should come
up name is (admin) PW is (password) default.
goto to wireless settings.
Tick Enable Wireless Access Point
Tick Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID, give it a name
Under security options, Tick none
Hit apply and exit
Setup your laptop up with no security to start with, the laptop
Should now see the Netgear SSID name you made.
After this find out your laptops MAC address, log back onto the
Netgear unit, add the MAC address to the allowed list, hit apply
And exit, now only your laptop will be able to get a wireless connection.
Hope this helps
Have a nice day
Posted on Dec 22, 2008
No Wireless Connection Found in Range
1. Using a computer wired to the router, please open any web browser like Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator.
2. Connect to the router by typing http://routerlogin.com/basicsetting.htm or http://192.168.1.1 in the address field and click Enter or Return key.
3. For security reasons, the router has its own username and password. When prompted, please type in admin for the Username and password for the Password, both in lower case letters.
Note: If it doesn't take password as the password, you might have changed it when you have run the NETGEAR Setup CD so please try other passwords. If you can't remember the password, you need to reset the router and run the Setup CD to reconfigure it.
4. Click the Wireless Settings under Advanced tab.
5. Check the box under Enable Wireless Router Radio and Enable Wireless SSID Broadcast.
6. Click the Wireless Settings under Setup.
7. Change Channel (recommended are 1, 6 and 11).
8. Change the SSID to uniquely identify your network. You might have a similar SSID with your neighbor.
Note: Do not change the SSID if there are already other wireless computers that can connect to the network.
Other factors that you may consider when you are not able to view any available wireless network.
a. Switch for the wireless adapter is turned off.
b. Distance between the wireless router and computer.
c. Possible wireless interferences.
Starting from the beginning...
Step 1: Checking the hardwired connection of your computer going to the router
1. If you are using Windows XP on your computer, you can check if your computer is able to communicate with the router. In most cases, the reason why you are having a ‘Page cannot be displayed’ error on your Internet Explorer is because your hardwired connection settings on the computer is disabled.
2. Please click on Start and go to Control Panel.
3. If you see ‘Pick a category’, please click ‘Switch to classic view’ on the left side panel.
4. Look for ‘Network Connections’ and open it up.
5. Look for any icon that says ‘Local Area Connection’.
6. Right-click on it. It should pop up a menu. The very first option can either be ‘Enable’ or ‘Disable’, whichever may be.
7. If it is ‘Enable’, that means you need to click ‘Enable’ to activate the hardwired connection. If it is ‘Disable’ then it is already been activated.
8. Once it is enabled, right-click the same icon and choose ‘Status’.
9. Go to ‘Support’ tab and please check the IP Address.
10. You should be getting information similar to this:
IP Address: 10.0.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway: 10.0.0.1
11. If you have information similar to above, then you are able to communicate with the router. Please close the window and proceed to ‘Reconfiguring the router’.
12. Otherwise, kindly right-click again ‘Local Area Connection’ and go to ‘Properties’.
13. Under the ‘General’ tab, look for the box that says ‘This connection uses the following items’. Inside that box is ‘Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)’. Please double-click on it.
14. A window should pop-up. Choose ‘Obtain an IP address automatically’ and ‘Obtain DNS server address automatically’. Please click on ‘OK’, then another ‘OK’ to dismiss the window. Repeat step 8 to 11.
Step 2: Reconfiguring the router
1. Please disconnect your modem from your computer. Turn off your modem and set it aside first.
2. Using an Ethernet cable, please connect it to port no. 1 of the router. On the other end, connect it directly to your computer. Turn on your router. Check the lights (Power, Port number lights, etc.). If you placed the cable on port no.1, port no.1 light should be lit up.
3. Kindly access http://www.routerlogin.com/basicsetting.htm or 192.168.1.1 using Internet Explorer or any browser that you have.
4. If it asks for a username and password, use ‘admin’ and ‘password’ for the username and password, respectively.
5. Determine the type of connection you have from your Internet provider. Please follow and configure the corresponding steps for your specific type of connection for the Basic Settings:
- Does your Internet connection require a login?: Yes
- Select Other for the Internet Service Provider and enter your ISP’s username and password.
- Domain Name Server Address: Get Automatically From ISP
- Click ‘ Apply
9. After clicking ‘Apply’, the router will update its settings.
10. Please connect the modem with an Ethernet cable to the Internet port of the router. Make sure that no USB cable is connected to the modem going through the computer.
11. Unplug the router’s power adapter. Turn off the modem.
12. Power on your modem. Once your modem is stable, re-plug the router’s power adapter.
13. Check the power light, wireless light, Internet light, and port number light. The Internet light should be light green same as with the power light.
14. Try browsing the Internet. If you are not able to go online, restart the computer and try again.
Note: After following step 3, still you are not getting internet connection. Kindly proceed to step 4. Otherwise, you can proceed directly to step 5 for the wireless settings of the router.
Step 3: Getting wireless connection from the router
1. Again, please access http://www.routerlogin.com/basicsetting.htm or 10.0.0.1 using Internet Explorer or any browser that you have.
2. If it asks for a username and password, use ‘admin’ and ‘password’ for the username and password, respectively. If you have a different password for your router, use that password.
3. You should be able to access the NETGEAR settings page again.
4. Go to the left side of the screen (blue panel).
5. Please click ‘Wireless Settings’ and view your wireless settings. Modify your settings with the following:
- Name(SSID): (your own name)
- Region: United States
- Channel: 9
- Mode: g & b
- Security Option: WEP
- Authentication Type: Automatic
- Encryption Strength: 64-bit
- Passphrase: (leave this blank)
- Key 1: (type here your 10-digit phone number; example: 7183386814)
- Write down the contents ‘Key 1’ on a paper. (This will serve as your permanent network key that you will use as an authentication when you connect wirelessly.)
6. Please click ‘Apply’ so that the settings would be saved and updated.
7. Locate ‘Advanced Wireless Settings’ from the left hand side of your NETGEAR page.
8. Make sure that the ‘Enable Wireless Router Radio’ and ‘Enable SSID Broadcast’ are checked. Kindly click ‘Apply’ to save the settings.
9. Please click on your Start Button. Click ‘Run’.
10. Type ‘services.msc’ on the ‘Run’ window then press OK.
11. Look for ‘Wireless Zero Configuration’ and double-click it.
12. Change the ‘Startup Type’ to ‘Automatic’ and click ‘OK’.
13. Please disconnect the Ethernet cable from your laptop so that you can go wireless. Restart your computer.
14. Kindly right-click the ‘Wireless Network Connections’ icon (monitor screen icon) on the bottom right corner of your screen near the time.
15. Choose ‘Open Network Connections’. It should open the ‘Network Connections’ window.
16. On the ‘Network Connections’ window, please right-click ‘Wireless Network Connections’ and choose ‘Properties’.
17. Go to ‘Wireless Networks’ tab. Check the ‘Use Windows to configure my wireless settings’.
18. On the bottom, look for ‘Preferred Networks’.
19. Please click each network that you find on that box and click ‘Remove’. You need to delete all the networks including yours.
20. Click ‘OK’ to exit.
21. Kindly right-click the ‘Wireless Network Connections’ icon (monitor screen icon) on the bottom right corner of your screen near the time. This time, choose ‘View Available Networks’.
22. Please click ‘Refresh network list’ on the left-hand side to re-detect the wireless networks around you.
23. Please click the name of your network (your first name) and then click ‘Connect’ down at the bottom.
24. It will ask for a WEP key or a network key. Kindly specify the network key (your phone number) which you have set from the NETGEAR router and click ‘Connect’.
25. The window will say ‘Acquiring network address’ and eventually will become ‘Connected’.
26. By this time, you can now try browsing the Internet again wirelessly.
Posted on Apr 25, 2009
Do you have encryption enabled on your router? If so you will need to enter the encryption key of the passphrase in the network setup of the xbox 360
Posted on Sep 19, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 30, 2009 | NetGear WPN111 RangeMax Wireless USB 2.0...
Sep 19, 2009 | NetGear WGR614 54 Mbps Wireless Router -...
Sep 16, 2009 | NetGear WNR2000 Wireless Router
May 27, 2009 | NetGear DG834G Router
Jan 03, 2009 | Computers & Internet
Oct 31, 2008 | NetGear WGR614 Router
Oct 30, 2008 | NetGear WGT624 Wireless Router
Aug 14, 2008 | NetGear WGR614 Wireless Router
Feb 17, 2008 | NetGear WGT624 Wireless Router
256 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: