Question about Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
I have windows vista ultimate, and the windows update isnt working, every time i try to check for updates the windows could not search for updates. the code is: 8024402F windows update encountered an unknown error. plz help me i need help !!!
From the case log, I understand that when trying to update Windows, the
error code 8024402F was encountered. If there has been any
misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.
I also understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best to help you. Please be aware that these following steps may be similar as the suggestions on Help and Support page, but, they are more detailed. Could you please perform them step by step? This will prevent us from having to proceed with additional troubleshooting steps and provide us with feedback to further develop our support resolutions for future customers. Your assistance in the feedback process is greatly appreciated and crucial to creating the best support experience we can here at Microsoft. This issue can be caused by the following factors:
1. The Windows Update service has been stopped.
2. Corrupted Windows Update Temporary folder.
In order to narrow down the cause of this issue and resolve it, please refer to the following steps. After finishing each step, please check the result again on the Windows Update website.
NOTE: Some third party programs can affect the Windows Update service. If you are running any third party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or web accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet connection), security or anti-virus programs (Norton, McAfee, etc.), I recommend we temporarily disable or shut them down and then try accessing Windows Update later. Please understand that we are disabling these programs only for the purpose of troubleshooting and we can re-enable these programs after we finish troubleshooting.
Step 1: Verify the relevant Windows Update services
1. Click the Start Button, in Start Search box, type: "services.msc" (without quotes) and press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
2. Double click the service "Windows Update".
3. Click on the "General" tab; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the "Start" button under "Service Status" to start the service.
4. Please repeat the above steps with the "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" service.
You can also temporarily stop these services, restart the computer, and then start these services again. If any service is missing or cannot be stopped or restarted, please let me know.
Step 2: Rename the Windows Update Softwaredistribution folder
This problem may occur if the Windows Update Software distribution folder has been corrupted. We can refer to the following steps to rename this folder. Please note that the folder will be re-created the next time we visit the Windows Update site.
1. Close all the open windows.
2. Click the Start Button, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".
3. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator".
4. In "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type in "net stop WuAuServ" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was successfully stopped before we try to rename the folder. However, if it fails, please let me know before performing any further steps and include any error messages you may have received when it failed.
5. Click the Start Button, in the "Start Search" box, type in "%windir%" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
6. In the opened folder, look for the folder named "SoftwareDistribution".
7. Right-click on the folder, select Rename and type "SDold" (without the quotes) to rename this folder.
8. While still in the "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type the command "net start WuAuServ" (without the quotes) in the opened window to restart the Windows Updates service.
Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was successfully started. However, if it failed, please let me know before performing any further steps and include any error messages you may have received when it failed.
Posted on Oct 04, 2009
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 02, 2011 | Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
Nov 11, 2010 | Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
Oct 28, 2010 | Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
Nov 19, 2017 | Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
Mar 27, 2010 | Microsoft Computers & Internet
Apr 02, 2009 | Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
Nov 20, 2008 | Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
Jul 13, 2008 | Intel D845GVSR Motherboard
May 27, 2008 | Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
187 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: