An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: does it produce any dangerous gas....?
All gas heaters produce obnoxious fumes. some more than others. natural gas produces carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, hydrogen sulphide etc. propane produces carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and water vapor. incomplete combustion produces high concentrations of carbon monoxide. check your air-gas mixture for better combustion.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
You may have a sensitivity to combustion by products like CO2 (carbon dioxide) or CO (Carbon Monoxide) that are produced when the oven operates or there could be a malfunction with the oven. You didn't specify a make or model, but it's important to keep the oven clean as well.
In either case, crack a nearby window when using the oven if you have one and see if that helps. Some newer homes are so tight that the oven may not have enough fresh air and the by product gasses are building up.
If the condition persists, you may want to call a repair service to check the appliance. Also, all homes should be equipped with combination smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. The CO detector will alarm if the gas concentration starts to build up, signaling a potentially dangerous situation.
Every year there are many deaths that could be avoided by a few simple checks, or the addition of a carbon monoxide detector in the home. The worst thing is that many of those people will have never known that they were under attack by a silent killer.
One of the products of the combustion of any fuel is carbon monoxide gas. The concentration of this gas can vary greatly depending on how complete the combustion process is. Many heating systems will check the combustion process and shut themselves down if the flame becomes too unstable and begins to produce harmful gases. There also are many heating systems still in service that do not check and will produce carbon monoxide gases. If carbon monoxide gas can get into your living environment then you and your family could be at risk.
To reduce the risk of carbon monoxide gas affecting your home, you should have your furnace checked every year. Make sure that the venting system of the furnace or boiler is in good condition. Make sure that the safety controls work properly and are not bypassed. Never bypass the safety controls to get heat even temporarily. Make sure that if you are using an unvented appliance in your home that you follow the instructions by opening a window a bit to give the heater fresh air. Many of these appliances have a oxygen sensor in them to protect you. Make sure to clean this device yearly and if the heater keeps going out and you don't know why, it could be because of oxygen depletion in the room.
Plugged chimneys, bad vent piping, wrong gas pressures, faulty, dirty burners, and many other things can cause carbon monoxide to build up in your home. Be careful to have all of these things checked often. If you heating system is not acting right then you need to have it checked immediately.
One of your best defenses against carbon monoxide is a detector. I like the ones that actually give you a digital read out of the level of the harmful gas in your home. You will find that even your gas range or oven will produce carbon monoxide and it is helpful to see when even low levels occur. The other reason is because the detectors that only give a warning on high levels will often not warn you till the gas reaches deadly levels. You want to be aware of these levels long before the reach deadly levels. This gives you time to get a problem identified and fixed. Also time to evacuate if necessary.
For best peace of mind, spend the money to buy a good quality carbon monoxide detector and then make sure you get it out of the bag and install it. Get your heating system serviced by a professional that can check the combustion process to make sure your heating system is burning cleanly and efficiently. By doing a few simple things you can protect yourself and the ones you love.
Make sure all of the condensate lines are open. The Hose and traps from the furnace. With the cold weather the Furnace is running alot more and Condensing more water from the Flue Gases.
The Furnace can produce up to 5 Gals of water in an 8 hour period. If the drains are all open then you better get a professional to check out the furnace you could have a cracked secondary Heat exchanger which could be leaking carbon monxide into the house. Do you have a CO2 Detector in the house??
The unit may be trying to tell you there is a dangerous situation in your house. Try calling the fire department non-emergency number and describe the problem. They will most likely send a unit to check out your premises. If you can't find a non-emergency number, dial 911 and ask to be connected to the closest station to you to discuss a possible carbon monoxide or gas leak situation. DO NOT SLEEP in the house until you have this checked out.*Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, despite the handle. Words to live by: "Every creative act results from a sudden cessation of stupidity." -Edwin H. Land, inventor of the Polaroid Land Camera "The problem can always be solved with the materials in the room." -My college Physics Lab Instructor
You can unplug the unit if it's an AC detector, change the battery for a new one and reset the Carbon Monoxide Detector. If that doen't work, you can have it checked by your local fire department. If the unit is more than 5 years old, it absolutely needs to be replaced.
Whenever in doubt about the efficiency of a carbon monoxide detector, a replacement is recommended. Yes, protection has a price, but a life cannot be replaced.
A reading of 221 ppm carbon monoxide gas is a dangerous level that should be taken seriously. You could try a new battery and reset the detector. If in doubt, always err on the cautious side and have the apartment checked by a professional or by the local fire department.
A new carbon monoxide detector is a small investment that may prevent carbon monoxide poisoning or death.
An error code on a Carbon Monoxide Detector is a serious matter that should be looked at immediately. Your local fire department will be glad to help you with this issue.
If the error code keeps coming, it may mean that you have a defective unit. If the unit is new, you should be able to get a replacement where you boutht it. A unit that is more than 5 to 7 years old should be replaced, see manufacturer recommendations.
When a Carbon Monoxide Detector alarm goes off, you should follow the procedures that came with the manufacturer manual. Even when the alarm sounds, you cannot smell, taste, or see this dangerous silent killer known as Carbon Monoxide.
Have your house checked by your local fire department for possible levels of CO gas readings. If this all checks out, you can go online to Kidde Nighthawk website and find the manual for your Carbon Monoxide detector model.