Question about Honeywell HZ-3220BW Compact Heater

1 Answer

Does it produce any dangerous gas....?

We've had our unit for a year now and it started to make our carbon monxide detector go off has there been any reports about what type of gas being produced

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Master
  • 625 Answers
Re: does it produce any dangerous gas....?

All gas heaters produce obnoxious fumes. some more than others. natural gas produces carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, hydrogen sulphide etc. propane produces carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and water vapor. incomplete combustion produces high concentrations of carbon monoxide. check your air-gas mixture for better combustion.

Posted on Dec 25, 2007

Add Your Answer

0 characters

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add


3 Points

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Yes my question is I have a ventless natural gas heater made by cedar ridge hearth ITS A NEW ITEM BOUGHT THIS it safe or not

i recommend that every gas fired appliance should be vented to the outside, since it will produce carbon monoxide if no installed, set up or serviced proper

Dec 19, 2015 | Heaters


Carbon Monoxide and Heating Systems

Every year there are many deaths that could be avoided by a few simple checks, or the addition of a carbon monoxide detector in the home. The worst thing is that many of those people will have never known that they were under attack by a silent killer.

One of the products of the combustion of any fuel is carbon monoxide gas. The concentration of this gas can vary greatly depending on how complete the combustion process is. Many heating systems will check the combustion process and shut themselves down if the flame becomes too unstable and begins to produce harmful gases. There also are many heating systems still in service that do not check and will produce carbon monoxide gases. If carbon monoxide gas can get into your living environment then you and your family could be at risk.

To reduce the risk of carbon monoxide gas affecting your home, you should have your furnace checked every year. Make sure that the venting system of the furnace or boiler is in good condition. Make sure that the safety controls work properly and are not bypassed. Never bypass the safety controls to get heat even temporarily. Make sure that if you are using an unvented appliance in your home that you follow the instructions by opening a window a bit to give the heater fresh air. Many of these appliances have a oxygen sensor in them to protect you. Make sure to clean this device yearly and if the heater keeps going out and you don't know why, it could be because of oxygen depletion in the room.

Plugged chimneys, bad vent piping, wrong gas pressures, faulty, dirty burners, and many other things can cause carbon monoxide to build up in your home. Be careful to have all of these things checked often. If you heating system is not acting right then you need to have it checked immediately.

One of your best defenses against carbon monoxide is a detector. I like the ones that actually give you a digital read out of the level of the harmful gas in your home. You will find that even your gas range or oven will produce carbon monoxide and it is helpful to see when even low levels occur. The other reason is because the detectors that only give a warning on high levels will often not warn you till the gas reaches deadly levels. You want to be aware of these levels long before the reach deadly levels. This gives you time to get a problem identified and fixed. Also time to evacuate if necessary.

For best peace of mind, spend the money to buy a good quality carbon monoxide detector and then make sure you get it out of the bag and install it. Get your heating system serviced by a professional that can check the combustion process to make sure your heating system is burning cleanly and efficiently. By doing a few simple things you can protect yourself and the ones you love.

on Dec 08, 2009 | Heaters

1 Answer

Duct Heater

carbon monoxide in any concentration is deadly. It gets in the blood and prevents the blood from absorbing oxygen. Follow the technicians advice and find out why there is this gas in the house.10 ppm is easily achievable and you cannot smell it and won't know it until you feel sleepy

Apr 30, 2013 | Heaters

1 Answer

I recently bought a Provence Calor Gas Stove for the house. The portable heater type. It is brand new but every time we switch it on, all of the smoke detectors in the house go off. Whats up with that?

New burners need to be run for a bit to burn off factory oils and the like for a bit (making sure of good ventilation in the house first). If this has been done and your smoke detectors are also carbon monoxide detectors turn the unit off and call a service tech before continuing use.

Sep 25, 2011 | Heaters

3 Answers

Have a dearborn ventless natural gas heater that is probably 100 years old that has been used every winter here recently i am getting a fummy odor from it i have cleaned gas valve raidants and burners did...

I t sound to me as if the heat exchanger is beginning to fail. do you have carbon monoxide detectors? If not please get some. Having the unit inspected by the gas company will not hurt.While specking with the gas company ask if the have added different oderants to the gas supply. Please play it safe with this guy and have the inspection.

Feb 10, 2011 | Heaters

1 Answer

I have a Trane 90XL installed in 2001which has been running great for 10 years. Now in very cold temperatures this week there is water seeping from the base of the unit. Water is slightly yellow/green in...

Make sure all of the condensate lines are open. The Hose and traps from the furnace. With the cold weather the Furnace is running alot more and Condensing more water from the Flue Gases.
The Furnace can produce up to 5 Gals of water in an 8 hour period. If the drains are all open then you better get a professional to check out the furnace you could have a cracked secondary Heat exchanger which could be leaking carbon monxide into the house. Do you have a CO2 Detector in the house??

Jan 21, 2011 | Heaters

1 Answer

I have a 45,000 btu garage heater made by heat star. some heating contactors say that the heat exchangers are prone to cracks. is this true? i work for the nat gas utility as a service tech, and right now...

Hi, all heaters are prone to cracks, but this unit is only 2 years old. You should be able to look at the heat exchanger above the burners and see any cracks or rusted out areas. Take a screw driver and push on it to see how strong the metal is. Normally a unit will develop cracks at about 20 years plus. If your tester is reading no carbon monoxside, you have nothing to worry about. If you are concerned, you can mount you a c/o detector near it for the future, but this is not true about the Heat Star units. Take a strong light and look inside and you can see if it is cracked or swollen, rusted out, or the metal is weak. I don't believe you have anything to worry about!! Please keep me posted on this and don't forget to rate me, I no you will be kind. Keep me informed on what you find if anything. I know you are fine.
A/C, Heating, & Refrigeration Contractor

Aug 06, 2010 | Star Enerco Heat HSU45 Garage Heater 45000...

1 Answer

My reddy heater was running and ran out of fuel at which time it gave off a foul exhaust. Was this exhaust carbon monxide or just the sulfer smell associated with kerosene?

probably both and unburnt fuel also. when the unit ran out it still pumped a small quantity of fuel into the hot burner chamber where it turned to smoke and was expelled. carbon monoxide itself is odorless and what is normally referred to as c. o. odor are unburnt fuel products, some of which smell pretty strange.

Jan 14, 2010 | Reddy Heater-170,000 BTU Kerosene Deluxe

2 Answers

Burning eyes, can't breathe.

These produce large amounts of carbon monoxide, so you essentially are poisoning yourself. Leave the garage door open part way when using it.

Feb 10, 2008 | Reddy Heater RLP100 Portable Forced Air...

2 Answers

Pro com propane heaters

The info sheet from Northern Tool says this item is not approved for California. There is no mention about massachusetts but if you go to the procom site and do a search for specifications I'm sure you'll find something. For your information, propane heaters consume oxygen to operate but propane produces one gas, carbon dioxide NOT carbon monoxide [which is poisonous] and water vapor - about one ounce of water in a 24 hr heating period. Also be asvised that co-2 will not support life alone but the concentrations produced are very low. I'm in NY state and I use a MrHeat infrared heater in my house in the winter. My co-2 detector has NEVER tripped on.

Oct 01, 2007 | Procom ML300HGA Heater

Not finding what you are looking for?
Honeywell HZ-3220BW Compact Heater Logo

Related Topics:

158 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Honeywell Heaters Experts


Level 2 Expert

77 Answers

Gareth Cockram
Gareth Cockram

Level 3 Expert

657 Answers


Level 3 Expert

1772 Answers

Are you a Honeywell Heater Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides