Question about Dell Dimension 3100 PC Desktop
Try rolling back your sound drivers (control panel, system, hardware, device manager, sound and audio devices, right click your sound hardware, properties, drivers), if this fixes the issue go to microsoft update, run the 'custom' scan...it should show you an update to your sound card/hardware, click the little "+" sign beside the update and click the little "Do not show this update again" checkbox. This will prevent automatic updates from "fixing" your drivers. Occasionally Microsoft sends out updates that are incompatible with a particular machines' setup.
Hope it helps.
Posted on Oct 18, 2009
Where to begin troublshooting this, how about the beginning!
1. Check power on to speakers and all connections secure
2. Check which sound port they are pluuged into (should be green)
2a. Check sound properties in Control panel if no speaker icon on taskbar. Is the Volume control turned all the way down on your computer OR the speaker control or Muted? Unmute and turn sound up :)
3. Check Device Manager Sound, video and game controllers for your soundcard entry. If any items have yellow question marks, right-click and update drivers accepting all defaults. If any have red X's select Enable.
4. If no drivers are downloaded Run Microsft Update
5. No driver updates, go to your install disc, they should be there or you computer's support site and download the latest drivers for your system and follow site instructuions to install.
6. Check cables, plug input into mp3 player headphones port and check for sound.
If none of these solutions work if attempted in this order and you get sound from other inputs you have either a damaged speaker sound port on your computer or sound card. If you have a headphone port on the front of your computer, plug your speaker input cable to that port and repeat. I have seen bad speaker out ports on the back before due to misuse ususally caused when the computer is jammed into a cobby hole in these tiny computer desks and using the front port worked fine.
If none of these work you have either a bad onboard sound chip or sound card.
Posted on Oct 06, 2009
Download and install audio driver free from Dell.com:
Reboot computer and your good to go!
Posted on Oct 03, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 01, 2011 | Harman Kardon HK206 Computer Speakers
Aug 13, 2008 | Computers & Internet
Mar 29, 2011 | Dell A215 Computer Speakers
Oct 25, 2010 | Logitech X-530 Computer Speakers
Sep 24, 2010 | Boston Acoustics BA745 Computer Speakers
Jun 19, 2009 | Boston Acoustics BA735 Computer Speakers
Apr 03, 2009 | Dell 5650 Computer Speakers
905 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: