Question about Kenmore Microwave Ovens
I have a brand new microwave. When you put the microwave on high to heat food, the food does not get hot
You need to contact Sears' customer service department. Don't fool around with this yourself because it could become dangerous. Call them before trying anything else.
Posted on Oct 03, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
high voltage diode converts the A/C power output of the transformer
to D/C, doubling the voltage to nearly 5,000 volts. This high
voltage powers the magnetron which emits the energy that cooks the
food. If the diode burns out, a lower A/C voltage reaches the
magnetron, which is not sufficient to power the magnetron. When the
diode fails it is often visibly burned out. If it appears to be
good, it can be tested with a volt-Ohm meter capable of testing
diodes. High voltage diodes frequently fail and are one of the most
common points of failure in a microwave oven. A regular meter with a
diode checker will not work to check these diodes. You have to use a
meter with a 9 volt battery or put a 9 volt battery in series with
the diode to check it.
the microwave does not heat, one of the door switches might be
defective. Microwave ovens normally have three door switches, if any
of them fail the microwave does not turn on and does not heat. Check
the switches for continuity with an Ohm meter.
the microwave oven doesn't heat the magnetron tube might have burned
out. The magnetron uses high voltage, high current DC power to
generate the microwave frequency that cooks the food. If the
microwave oven is turned on when it is empty this can cause the
magnetron to burn out. Once it is burned out it has to be replaced,
it's not repairable.
the microwave doesn't heat the high voltage capacitor might be
defective. The high voltage capacitor works with the high voltage
diode to convert the output of the transformer to DC voltage and to
double the output voltage. If the capacitor is burned out the entire
high voltage circuit stops working properly. The high voltage
capacitor can be checked with a special VOM meter which has a
capacitance testing capability. Be aware that the high voltage
capacitor can retain a charge of more than 3,000 volts and can
injure or kill a person if not handled properly. Only trained
technicians should perform this type of testin
the microwave does not heat, the high voltage transformer might be
burned out. Microwave ovens produce a very high voltage in order to
power the magnetron antenna, which emits the energy that cooks the
food. When a high voltage transformer fails it will usually arch and
have a burning smell
the microwave doesn't heat the thermoprotector may have tripped. This
is a safety device to prevent the microwave from overheating. It can
be tested for continuity to see if it's blown.
Feb 06, 2013 | Microwave Ovens
Jun 29, 2012 | Microwave Ovens
Apr 19, 2011 | GE JVM1750DM Microwave Oven
Mar 03, 2011 | Magic Chef MCD1611ST Microwave Oven
Feb 27, 2011 | Smeg FME24X Microwave Oven
Feb 23, 2011 | Goldstar MV-1501 Microwave Oven
Jan 19, 2011 | KitchenAid KHMS145KSS Microwave Oven
Aug 03, 2009 | Microwave Ovens
May 25, 2008 | GE Microwave Ovens
68 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!