Question about Kenmore 22422 Top Load Washer
This will show you how to replace water pump.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLPGs2UMUJc
Posted on Dec 26, 2009
If this is a Kenmore top loader such as the one you have this question listed under, you will need to remove the exterior casing of the washer to access the interior and determine where the leak may be coming from. Follow these steps:
1. Unplug washing machine.
2. Remove console. This can be accomplished in one of two ways depending on which type of console you have.
a. If the console has removable end caps, the caps lift off by prying on the top from the back of the washer. The cap will pull off towards you as you are facing the unit from the front of the washer. There will be a screw under each end cap that you will need to remove.
b. If the console does not have removable end caps, you will need to slide a putty knife under the front corner of each side and push in while lifting up. There is a retaining clip under each side that has to be released.
3. Once the console has been released it will lift up and fold back over the back of the washer in its resting position. Use care not to stress the small plastic hinges that hold it on. They can break easily.
4. Under the console will be two large brass colored clips. Take a large flat blade screwdriver and place it in the groove of the clip on the washer top. With the screwdriver firmly in the groove, push away from you towards the back of the washer. This will release the clips.
5. Disconnect the lid switch connector plug. This is the white colored plug on the washer top under the console.
6. Remove the washer casing. Open the lid of the washer. Using one hand, grip under the front rim of the washer opening. Do not grab the wash tub, just the casing. Tilt the washer case from the back first towards you, slide forward slightly, and then lift up. The entire case comes off exposing the wash tub and components.
If the leak is coming from the front of the washer, most commonly this is caused by a leaking drain pump. The pump is located in the front directly below the wash tub. The pump is not serviceable and must be replaced if it is damaged.
Some other items to consider:
1. Check your fill hoses to ensure they are tight and not leaking. What can often appear as a washer problem, may be a loose hose.
2. With the washer case removed, check the area UNDER the wash tub. If the leak is coming from the center above the transmission, the tub seal may be leaking.
3. Inspect the wash tub for any cracks. If the tub is cracked and its not serious, you may be able to get by with some marine epoxy to reseal it. If the crack is significant, a new tub will be required.
4. Check the air dome on the lower right hand side of the wash tub. This is a small plastic air hose that runs from the wash tub all the way to the pressure switch. If this hose comes loose, the washer will start to leak as it fills. Simply reattach if it comes loose.
NOTE: It is important to remove the washer case in matters like this so that you can get a full view of everything to determine the source of the leak.
If you need an illustration of your washer and components, searspartsdirect.com, appliancepartspros.com, or pcappliancerepair.com usually has some excellent exploded view diagrams that you can refer to.
If you determine the pump is damaged and needs replaced, the following link explains how:
Prices can vary between these sites so shop around for the best deal. NOTE: Use the part number from the Sears site and use it to "Search by Part Number" on the other sites. It makes it easier to find as some sites may not have your model number listed, but will still carry the part.
To reinstall the washer casing, follow these steps to ensure you get the case correctly placed and secure on the frame:
1. With the lid of the washer open, grasp case under front rim and place it on the washer frame. While looking down through the washer lid opening, make sure the front lip of the case is placed UNDER the washer frame and rocked back onto the frame to ensure that the small cleats on the frame fit into the slotted grooves on the washer case base. If you do not get the case seated correctly it will rattle and vibrate while the washer is in operation.
2. Make sure the back of the washer fits into the washer casing on each side by leaning over the front of the washer and grasping the back panel and pull towards you. Reinsert the brass clips by placing the clips into the slot on the back of the washer first, and then forcefully push then down into the opening on top of the washer.
3. REINSTALL LID SWITCH CONNECTOR. It is easy to forget. If you do not reconnect it, the washer will not work correctly.
4. Reinstall console.
Read through everything thoroughly before beginning any repairs. If you have any questions, or require additional assistance, please let me know. I hope this information is helpful.
NOTE: Kenmore is manufactured by Whirlpool, so these instructions will apply.
Posted on Oct 03, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 16, 2014 | Kenmore Refrigerators
Hi friend, thank you for your post!
I understand that water is leaking from the bottom of your Frigidaire washer. There are many components that could cause a washer to leak the bellow (gasket), leak from drain hose, drain pump, or water valve. Since it could be any one of these underlying issues I would recommend having a technician come out to diagnose and repair your appliance. Hope this is helpful. -Matt
Jul 30, 2014 | Frigidaire Washing Machines
May 25, 2014 | Hotpoint HSS25GFP Side by Side...
May 25, 2013 | Water Heaters
Feb 12, 2013 | Rheem 40 GAL ELEC TALL Water Heater 6YR SC...
Sep 27, 2012 | KitchenAid KHWS01PMT Front Load Washer
Dec 26, 2008 | DeLonghi Caffe Nabucco BCO70...
Aug 30, 2008 | Frigidaire Gallery Series GLHS269ZDB 36"...
221 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: