Firmware on the player can be reinstalled in 2 METHODS.
In both methods the player should be in USB connection mode MSC = recovery mode.
How to switch the player into MSC mode:
0. Player not connected to a computer.
1. When the e260R is not OFF, on the player press and hold the
Power/Menu button for 15 seconds to turn the device completely off.
2. Slide the Hold switch, so the orange portion shows.
3. On your PC, double-click My Computer
4. On your Sansa player, press and hold the REC button while connecting it to the PC.
5. Release the REC button when a 16MB-FORMAT drive partition appears under My Computer.
On a computer running Windows, you can use the Sansa Firmware Updater to get an automatic download of the firmware for the e260R.
How to use the Sansa Firmware Updater [METHOD 1]:
If not installed yet, get the Sansa Firmware Updater to download:
Right click the link above and Save target as... ; save the Installer to a location on your computer, install and run the updater on your computer. Select Firmware in the updater and Download Now, to start downloading the software for the player.
When you prefer to download manually or if you have another operating system, the firmware can be downloaded from the forums site [METHOD 2]: