The magnatron? I believe, the part that is one the inside right of the microwave behind the piece of lined cardboard, started sparking even with nothing in the microwave. It started to burn the cardboard piece and it looked like a lightening storm inside? what to do, buy a new one?
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Some units use a plastic or fiberglass cover over the wave guide where the microwaves are dumped into the oven cavity. If this cover gets coated with food/grease, or soaks up grease, it can arc, or catch fire. If unit is still operating properly otherwise, I would suggest replacing the cover. You need to inspect the wave guide, also, to make sure it is still intact, and there are no cracks in it that would allow microwave radiation to escape.
Actually you don't need to replace the microwave, you just need to replace the carboard piece or "wave guide" and replace the magnetron inside the microwave behind the cardboard piece. The magnetron will commonly arc out to the wave guide if the wave guide gets something that splatters on it. The repair isn't cheap because the magnetron costs about $200 and the wave guide is another $30 or so, but if you replace both these parts you should be good to go again. The magnetron usually have 5 years warranty, however you need to speak with manufacturer itself for the same. Let me know,if needed further assistance. Hope i helped you. Thanks for using ' Fixya ' and have a nice day!!
When the micro starts arcing it is reasonably serious. One or more of the components are broken down. What needs to be done is firstly, "pull the plug out" The cover needs to be unscrewed and removed. You will then see the electrical components on the R.H.Side. There is a magnatron (creates the heat).and a capacitor (discharge voltage) and a HV diode. (DCcurrent to charge the cap). The magnatron needs to be replaced, and the HV diode. Please do not do it yourself as there are lethel voltages sitting there waiting for a wrong move. A technician needs to do the repairs as he has the appropriate tools to discharge the cap and do relative tests.
No the wave guide is usually a porous material that almost looks like a light colored cardboard piece. Sound as if the stirrer plate is waht you are seeing. Make sure M/W is clean inside completly. Any build up of grease can cause this. Also make sure to check for chipped areas and if there are use an appliance touch up to cover the bare metal areas. A good cleaning will usually take care of the arcing tho.
There are 3 possible openings that you could be alluding to. One is for the light, one is for the air vent, the 3rd is for the magnatron micro beam energy. The sparking can be from dirt buildup, from a loose connection, from a fan blade rotating or from the scatter blade rotating, or from the magnatron gun shorting, or from the mica cover plate if so equiped. Best to carry it in to a service place; it is usually worth fixing, adn only the magnatron failure would be the highest cost of the repairs. it is at least worth spending a diagnosis cost for someone to tell you the real reason and you'll know for sure if you made the right decision. Goodluck, Macgivor
I had the same problem. I replaced the wave guide/cover and everything was fine. It is a piece of cardboard inside the microwave that covers the magnetron. Mine was saturated with grease, and was damaged by the fire. If yours is still intact and not that greasy, You can carefully remove it. Clean both it and the area inside the cavity with an alcohol based cleaner. If there is so much as a pin hole in the cover it will need to be replace. When grease somehow gets behind the cover an arc is formed which causes the problem.
You better be carefull my friend or you will start glowing in the dark!! LOL Just kidding. But I wont kid about how dangerous that metal cylinder can be with the holes in the top. Thats the magnatron. It has very high voltage going to it and you should never ever touch any wires going to it even if its unplugged as theres a capacitor in there that holds a charge for a time. f the oven is over several years old, Im sure the magnatron will cost more then a new oven, after you add labor and such. It just migfht be time to upgrade to a new microwave?? Good Luck